Ram 1500 diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Larson Lawn Care, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I've read about "bullet proofing" my truck and maybe someone did it before I bought it. I don't know if I can find that out. Also, not sure if I want to put too much money into it unless there is certainty that it will take care of it . I need reliability. But again, I need better mpg
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

Chances are that your truck isn't deleted(bullet proofed) if your getting that kind of mpg. google some 6.0's that have been deleted and you should be able to easily tell if the emissions equipment has been removed. a very quick way would be to check and see if the exhaust is factory or if there is a programmer on the truck. now, the only issue you'll have with that right now is that you'd have to buy a used programmer since the wonderful EPA has banned the production of all delete-capable diesel tuners.

3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

It will make it reliable. You have an 06 with 20mm dowel heads. Much better than 03-05 trucks.

Mpg and towing anything don't really go together. If you're that concerned about mpg buy an NPR. I could care less what my fuel mileage is. The way I look at it is I have to fill it up every couple days anyway so what does it matter.

I damn sure wouldn't sell a truck to get 2 more mpg
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

You can still buy them, only for track use. I drive on the track all the time :dancing:

5. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

That's nuts. I remember when diesel owners were bragging about that kind of mileage. I don't think they're getting that, now, with the emission stuff and regeneration cycles.

I bet they're chasing C-A-F-E standards, by limiting it to 3.42 gears. I think there are far more people buying the bigger engines, these days, so they've gotta' do what they can to keep their estimated MPG averages up. No matter how many offers GM sends me, I'm not buying a new truck. :laugh:

6. JCLawn and more

from MI

you have to remember we get that kind of diesel mileage in a 1ton dully truck

7. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

That's fine. It just seemed like everybody that had a diesel was spouting their mileage numbers (no matter how inaccurate), in a braggart manner. Most only used them for running around and not actually pulling anything. What they so often forgot is they paid $15K+ more for the truck, have higher maintenance costs, and pay more at the pump. The reality is driving their diesel, in their situations, actually costs considerably more money, especially when they demonstrate how they "roll the coal". Pfft!

Heavy duty trucks totally make sense for those who actually use them. However, I've yet to hear that type of person brag to the average guy what kind of mileage they get. Furthermore, I've not heard them brag about anything because they own the truck to get a job done; not make up for some inadequacy. Carry on! :drinkup:

8. JCLawn and more

from MI

Lol well the maintenance costs are not what people make out either. More so in the old diesels. 210,000 on mine and I did the first trans oil change when I took ownership. My friend has a 2013 Chevy 2500 and he gets 9-10 towing and I am seeing 15ish. Now he is running e-85. I think e-85 is a wash with a diesel. I won't buy a new diesel unless I take it back to being barebones. Shoot my 93 Chevy is mechanical injection pump and the computer only controls the transmission. Ill pretty much only stick with the 6.5 or 12valve Cummins. AM general makes a bullet proof 6.5 that goes in the humvee.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

not really, because you have to take into consideration the addition of 2 more gears in the transmission which changes the final drive ratio. even if i had 3.08's (which the 13 we had did) i still have a lower first gear final drive than yours with 3.73's.

3.42/6spd
    1) 13.77 2) 8.08 3) 5.24 4) 4.57 5) 2.91 6) 2.28

3.73/4spd
    1) 11.41 2) 6.06 3) 3.73 4) 2.59

10. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Transmissions are where you really gain your mpg
    Posted via Mobile Device