Ram 1500 diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Larson Lawn Care, Oct 28, 2013.

1. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Ya I really wish I has a 6 speed. Going From 3600 rpms to 1900 in a diesel is just stupid.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

No. I meant in high gear.

They're using the transmission's lower initial gears to allow the 3.42 to get the truck rolling. But, they're using the transmission's OD and higher rearend gearing (3.42 vs allowing optional 3.73/4.10/etc) to achieve the theoretical MPG numbers to satisfy the government's minimum, average fuel mileage numbers (C-A-F-E). They have to offset the horrid MPG vehicles with the frugal ones to keep their numbers in check. Otherwise, the government levies heavy fines against the manufacturer. Therefore, they're going to force buyers to take what they're putting out there, instead of allowing one to spec' a stump pulling beast.

There's no way my truck would pull a 3.42 gear, in OD, with my trailer. It can't do it with 3.73s. It's a joke, really.

3. ducnut

That 12V was the perfect engine, wasn't it?

4. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Mmmmhmmmm
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

You guys lost me!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

OD is not intended for pulling loads in any vehicle. Anything larger than a half ton is exempt from fuel mileage testing also for this reason. a half ton isn't ever going to be a stump pulling beast and still maintain reasonable fuel economy or driveability. Rearend gears really don't mean much, its the final drive ratios that matter. You could technically build a transmission that would utilize 2.82 gears and still out pull a different vehicle with a different transmission and 4.10's. Across the board, up until 6th gear, the 6spd/3.42 is still geared lower than the 4spd/3.73.

7. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

the mandate the EPA put out allowed mfg's to sell any remaining stock. everything I have read they still cannot manufacture any new tuners for diesels that will allow the emissions equipment to be disabled, regardless of what the truck is used for. All along they were sold as ''race only''. This also only applies to diesels that came equipped with emissions equipment from the factory. engines such as the 7.3 powerstroke and 5.9 cummins never had emissions stuff so they can still make tuners for those all day long

8. ducnut

Why not? So long as the converter is locked up, the trans is not building any more heat than if it were in 3rd/direct drive/whatever. Diesels and big motors do it all day long. I wouldn't want some kind of controller keeping it in OD at full-throttle, though.

Oh yeah, I didn't catch that.

9. MasScape

MasScape LawnSite Senior Member

You know why a diesel is better for a work truck? You work a gasser hard you can over cut the sticker mpg in half easily or more. A diesel is made to work hard so you only loss few mpg. Honestly I do not notice my f450 7.3 using more diesel loaded or unloaded. I probably do loss little mpg but not even enough to notice the difference. In my case I am towing 5k on regular basis. But in the spring I could have my trailer plus 10 yards of mulch in the dump bed
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS