Ram 5.9L how is it

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Triple L, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

Hay guys, I'm looking to buy at truck, found a 99 Ram 1500 ext. cab, short box, lamamie, with the 5.9L. auto for $12000, it's got 176000 KM on it and im wondering how good the 5.9 is. I was hoping to get a 318 (5.2L) because I heard they are good on gas. This truck will be plowing and pulling 4-7000 lbs. often. Do you have any comments on the 5.9 or anything I should be lookin for, ex. if this truck has already plowed. Thanks alot

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I had a 5.9. It's the good 'ol 360. Good motor, decent mileage, great power. I'd never use a 1/2 ton for plowing, though. The frame and front suspension will take too much of a beating.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I've also got a 5.9. It's a good motor with plenty of power with decent gas mileage if you drive it right.

4. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a 99 Dakota R/T with the 5.9 and it was the biggest POS that I have ever owned.
    It got to the point that every other time I got gas, I had to add a qt of oil. It didnt leak, smoke, or anything. The engine just ate oil like a monster and nobody could figure it out. I only owned it until like 36,000 miles then I sold it. I would never own a Dodge with a 360 in it.

Oh yeah, it was a complete gas hog in the Dakota, I could not imagine how terrible it is in a Full size Ram while towing something.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The 5.9 is a good motor, but pulling 7000 lbs with a 1/2 ton is pushing a bit too far, even 4000 on a regular basis is a bit much. Look for something more if pulling that kind of weight on a regular basis is necessary.

6. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

By the way, I wouldn't be plowing on a regular basis with it either. Half tons can do it but won't hold up for too long in your neck of the woods.

7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 5.9 in my Ram. Decent power and average gas milage IMO. I have 72,000 on it with no major problems yet.

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

That's waaaay too much money

9. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

I believe he's talking canadian dollars...........

10. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks alot for the replies, thats canadian $, Took the truck for a drive, felt pretty good, Don't know yet if I'll get it, I'll just wait a little and see. Keep looking for maby a 2500 I guess. I was told by another dealer that I'm just lookin for trouble working a truck that hard that has 180 000 or so KM on it. Ill try to take your advice and find a good 2500