ramp length???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Movinfr8, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 LawnSite Member

Am building a tailgate ramp, and need a little help. Can someone measure the length of your tailgate???
    My deck is 20 inches off the ground, and I am thinking 5 or 6 feet, I won't hafta buy anymore materials if I use 5 ft, but it'd stink to hafta add a foot later!!!
    thanx in advance...
    Norm

2. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

most math for ramps that i've used is your height of your trailer will be one third of the length of the ramp.

3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

My trailer deck is about 17" off the ground and the gate is about 45" long. It is a little short. I've had a ZTR on it a couple of times and it did get hung up sometimes when loading.

4. 4-5' will be just right.

5. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

My deck is about 17" off of the ground and the ramp gate is 4' long. The ztr scrapes every time unless I set 2x4's under the edge when unloading. Next trailer will definitly have a 5' ramp gate.

6. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Id have to say a least 5ft, 4ft will scrape if you downsize your drive tires, i use to use 24-12-12, but i get better hill comtrol with 23-10.5-12 , when im mowing alot of my hilly accounts i let alittle air out and these tires and they do way better than my 24s.......my gate is 5ft..........Marks Mowing Service