Ramp Opinion?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Mar 24, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

What do you think of this retractable ramp? It slides in on itself on your tailgate so its not seen, them opens out easily and holds alot of weight. My neighbor has just become a distributor of them and was asking my opinion, would real companies ever use them? It's a bit pricey, $850 delivered to your doorstep. What do you think? http://www.gatorramps.com/

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont see any landscapers buying those. Would work for a snowblower, ATV. But not much else. Mowers and such wont clear the steep breakover angle.

3. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I have never seen the gator ramp but I do have the 7' ramp by usa ramps. www.usaramp.com I love it. It is on my 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. I can put my 21" mower, 48" Exmark WB, backpack sprayer, backpack blower, weedeater, and edger all in the 6' bed.
    It is great on the days I don't need my ZTR.

4. Zito

Zito LawnSite Member

"It slides in on itself."

Does that mean when your tailgate is up, that it would be in the verticle position? does it take up much room in the bed?

Why I'll never again skimp on ramp quality:
    Just last week I was watching a guy walk down the ramp of a 18 wheeler, with a hand truk and 4 x 50lb bags of sugar. A big, heavy duty ramp. And it broke in half and the dude fell like 5 feet, and the 50lb bags of sugar landed on him. Had to get an ambulance to come get him. So no more 'commercial' stuff for me. I'm goin' industrial, all the way.

5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

On the gatorramps site it shows two different mowers using it. But it doesn't show the deck scraping on the ramp.:rolleyes:

6. fga

Zito,
    It mounts to your tailgate, so when the tailgate is up, it's vertical. The amount of space taken from the tail gate ito the bed would probably be a few inches. I waiting until he installs his demo to see what i think.

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yup, I made one. It works great.

ramp2-1.jpg

8. Doc Pete

Here's the ramps (pop riveted together) down with transition mini ramp folded down in place. 10 seconds to load and unload.

ramp4.jpg

9. fga

Pete, i was looking into the one you made, which is great. But this one is contained on the tailgate only, the whole bed is clear like you didn't have a ramp. What did you use to secure them to the truck. I have 2 ramp "brackets" with bolts through them, and i get nervous with just my weight on them. Did those ramps come with the "pins"?

10. Doc Pete

Ya know, just look how long that sucker is. The ramp is way too short as I see it. My ramps are about 7.5' long. I can ramp my mower which is 700 lbs with no problem. However, I only use if for my snowblowers. Also, either that's a mid size truck, or a low full size. Regardless, IMO the ramp section is way to short/small.
    My ramp top is just a 4x8 piece of plywood. It fits perfect in the bed, between the wheelwells. I don't need anything to keep it in place. FYI, the ramps have no pins and have never moved, as long as I've been using it. I did bend the ramp bottoms (see pic) so they dig in, instead of being smooth on the bottom and about 2 inches in length. When I first had the ramps they "would" slide, but when I bent the edges down it cured the problem.
    Check the straight part of the bottom of each ramp.

ramp34.jpg