Ramps for dump truck anyone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by padude2004, Jun 17, 2008.

1. padude2004

padude2004 LawnSite Member

What do you use to get your mowers into your dump truck, specifically 32", 36", or 48" walk behinds? does anyone use premade, manufactured systems or simply 2, 6" x 10' boards?

2. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I've seen some close calls using boards or other small ramps. It its not at least 5 ft wide & attached to the back of the truck permanently I wouldn't do it (again)

3. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

We have a flat deck dump body. we have 2 aluminium ramps 16" wide, 1700lbs capacity each with receivers welded to the back of the deck. 5/8" by 20 " pins to lock them on.

4. DuallyVette

This sounds like a good system. How long are the ramps, and how high is the truck bed. If its pretty steep, you can have a problem when the mower wheels enter the ramp and the mower deck hangs up on the truck bed edge, or rises to quickly. Be careful.

5. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

The deck is 32" its a modified pick-up truck. The ramps are 8'. The biggest trouble is clearing the blade bolts over the ramp/deck joint. The higher the deck the longer the ramp. You would have to work out the deck/ramp geometry for the situation.

6. DuallyVette

If I was going to use a dump truck to haul mowers, I would probably put a 4 foot tall tailgate on the truck that hinges down and is suspended on chains., then attach the ramps to that. This would look kind of like a ramp truck. Saving money and risking injury will prove to be a bad decision IMHO.