Ramps vs Trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keegan, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Has anyone had experience using ramps instead of a trailer for a walk behind mower?

2. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

Yes. One thing you have to make sure of is to secure the ramps. I put eye bolts on sides of ramps and attached a chain to the ball on my hitch. Otherwise, while you are unloading if you happen to apply the brakes even the slightest bit, it will pull the ramps off your vehicle. Been there done that, luckily my walkbehind only dropped about a foot.

3. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Yewp, until you drive off teh ramp and flip over your mower like stupid me.

4. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

The parts of town I work you just CAN'T use a trailer, NO PARKING! So I'm pro-ramp- if not I'd never be able to service anyone... just orbit the block!
    :eek:

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

well, today i saw a 60" lazer teetering off the back of a box truck cause one of the ramps slid out. $8k machine + 4' drop = too risky for my blood.

6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Ramps are good, just back it in, so you're never below the machine. I've been doing it for many years.
    Crawdad

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

You don't have to use seperate ramps for each wheel. They make a variety of types that fold and are full width and safer.

I use a safe-t-ramp at times and run a 900 lb ztr up in the bed with no problems.

http://www.discountramps.com/tailgate_ramp.htm

but there are cheaper aluminum models that are fully portable that would hold a walk behind's weight.