Ran a CASE W11 wheel loader

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by meets1, Jan 28, 2011.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I ran one of these machines the other day for a guy to push back some piles of snow. What a piece of junk for a payloader. It seemed backwards to me, turn one direction and I am going opposite of what I thought. Sit low in the machine, the controls are terrible. Getting out the machine you could commit suicide as you need to jump over the parking brake and down the little ladder. IT had a 4-1 bucket which I find useless but then again I never ran a machine with one. I just couldn't believe that machine being a case product - if they even made it or make it anymore - what a poor design for a payloader. It had 3300 hour it.
  2. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

W11's haven't been made in about 20 years.

They were good machines in their day.

3. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. You run most things that are that old, big, and different from what you're used to, it will take a little time to get used to it.
  4. meets1

Hey 20yrs old huh. I was a little teenager at that time but yes definetily not what I am used to!
  5. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I have a w11b, sure, not as nice to run as my newer loaders but for a 25 year old rig for 11 or 12k I have in it, not much I can justify complaining about. Good power, relatively quick, the cab leaves a little to be desired but good rig for the money.
  6. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

turn one way and go the other way.... i dont get it
  7. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

We used to have a W18 with a 12' blade that we would plow snow with...mostly hired out by the city. That thing was a beast. It would peel up asphalt just as easy as packed snow if it got in the way.
  8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

They articulated in the front as opposed to the back. Hence the reason for the different steering. I have never run one, but they could not have been too bad cause there is a bunch of them around. The Army and NG just had CASE rebuild a bunch of their W series loaders.
  9. meets1

That turn one way thing and go the other really got me. Looking here and going there!
  10. zabmasonry

zabmasonry LawnSite Senior Member
    from C. VT

I don't know jack about this, but couldn't it be swapped so it is set up as the more modern machines are?