Ran a Cat 287C today

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Lawnworks, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I ran a Cat 287C for a few minutes today. I subbed a guy out to pull some trees off an embankment and haul them off for me. My Cat 248 might have been sitting in the ditch upside down if I tried it. Anyways, I talked him into letting me run it a bit. This thing was nicer than my wife's duramax. 6 air vents blowing, radio/CD, sealed cab... and it felt much bigger inside than my 248. The undercarriage looked much more open to me... The rollers looked easy to service... I don't know if that is a C change or not. It did not have steal rollers though. Also, it did seem like the machine was not as responsive as my 248. The guy that owned it felt the same way... said he couldn't flick the bucket like he could on his 246. I am really seeing no advantage to having an open cab. My next Cat will be enclosed if I am running it.

I have mixed emotions on the tracks. It did spectacular on the slope hauling up trees, but he put a gouge in the brand new tracks down to the belt about 1.5" wide and about 14" long. I witnessed a few very choice words when he showed me that!

Here is a pic of the bank.

DSC00852.JPG

2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

From that picture the bank would be no problem for most any CTL.

3. Lawnworks

from usa

I agree... I think it was too much for my wheeled unit... or maybe I just don't have the balls.

4. AWJ Services

from Ga

I agree that a wheeled unit would take a different approach.
    Did you actually push the trees over stumps and all or just cut and drag them out?

5. Lawnworks

from usa

I cut them w/ the help of the CTL pushing... it was on a major roadway and they were leaning the wrong way.

6. AWJ Services

from Ga

I understand.
    A rope and a machine up top would have worked as well.
    I would have dug them and pushed them over with my excavator.
    They are much easier too control that way.

I have had trees kick back while cutting and pushing with my CTL.
    I always tilt the bucket down and use it too shield the cab.

7. Lawnworks

from usa

The only problem w/ digging them is more debris to haul away... I left the stumps. The rope would have been much safer... the last two were a little uncomfortable.

8. AWJ Services

from Ga

Thats true.
    Another trick I learned is too cut the tree 60% through and use the machine too push it the way I want and break the tree.
    It controls the kick back especially on hills.

9. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

that would have been no problem with the T190 me and my dad rent....... in fact our first job with it i think we were goin up steeper hills than that..........

I will post some pics if i can find them and figure out how.........

10. Nelson M Martin

Nelson M Martin LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Yesturday i drove my first 287C loaded. It was one nice ride and a cool machine to run.i used it to push some pitrun gravel. For traction and power the T300 and 287C were very comparable. Note i compared on the same job site and with the same bucket and the same material
    I am used to the ridgid under carriage of the Bobcat so it was little tricky to keep grade with the 287C. But i wasnt running the machine long and all machines need some getting used to for final grading