1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ran a WB w/ no oil...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kflowers, Sep 24, 2012.

1. kflowers

kflowers LawnSite Member

Also, I don't believe it is leaking oil. When I say NO oil, I guess I should say barely any oil. Low enough to screw things up.
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

It can't leak oil if its empty!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

What engine do you have,,?
    Did you ask the guy that unloaded this "Great Deal" on you...Why the engine was out of oil when he delivered it..?
    Is there a sign on your back that says...*#@@*&% me..?
  4. rm25x

rm25x LawnSite Member

I bet the plastic governor gear melted.
  5. kflowers

kflowers LawnSite Member

It's a 14 HP kawasaki (FC420V)
    He didn't have much to say about it other than that it was sitting for a while. I never said I got a "great deal", and i knew it would be a little bit of a fixer uper, just not this much of one.

And no, I wasn't wearing that sign on this particular day.

rm25x - thanks, i'll keep that in mind when i look through it.
  6. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

legaly you can get your money back but it would probably not be worth the work. You bought a running mower and he delivered you a non running mower. You should have got a police report immediately after this happened so it didnt look like you used it for a week first.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Well it ran, just not for long.
  8. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Kflowers...the fc420 is one of the toughest and most forgiving engines ever put on a lawnmower...
    You will probably get away with replacing the gov gear ...base gasket...and an oil change...
    Id rather have a tired fc420 than a new Briggs any day of the week...
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are really inclined to do so, you could take him to small claims court. You can represent yourself and don't have to have a lawyer. Just the threat of your doing that might make him want to work something out (say split the difference?)
    There is certainly no guarantee you'd win, but you might. It would definitely make him think twice.
  10. Impressions Landscaping

Impressions Landscaping LawnSite Member

I second the governor gear melting and coming apart. We had a crank seal go bad on a Kawasaki motor a long time ago and my guy ran it until I heard it screaming across the yard. Shut it down and took the motor apart that night, dipstick melted and gear blown to pieces. I put a new gear inside and new dipstick plus new gaskets, it never sounded right after that but it was only a back up mower so I didn't really care. It still gets run for a few hours here and there. Put a new gear in it and see what happens. I'd check the crank and the bearings though while your in there.