Ran accross a P.I.T.A client today should get rid of her?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kebrowns, Jul 22, 2012.

1. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

I had a customer this weekend she appeared nice and cool and very jovial. I was doing her yard for the first time but while doing her shrubs she was standing right behind me saying I need to do it this way and that way. A 15 minute shrub job took 45 minutes. I could never get it right for her. She wanted the shrubs to be perfectly square. It came to the point that it was becoming so square there were barely no leaves left on the shrub just branches. I told her if I continue there will be now more leaves just branches. She said she doesn't care so I continued. I understand there will be P.I.T.A customers out there but should I keep this one? Will she be worth it for me to deal in the future? She is paying me about $90 per visit.
  2. american dream

american dream LawnSite Senior Member

Only u can decide.
  3. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

No, if she has caused you to waste this much emotional capital, it will only get worse.
    Fire her gently and move on. You will be better for it now and in the future.
    easy-lift guy

Do whats right for you. Mid season pick ups often send up warning signs.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Grassmaster9

Grassmaster9 LawnSite Member

For $90 per visit, it's a keeper. Just don't let it take too much of your time. Explain that your rate is based on the amount of time the job is expected to take and that you have to keep moving, you have a schedule to keep.
  6. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Here's the answer. She could turn out to be a great customer after you do what she wants the way she wants.
  7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Look on the bright side, the bushes won't need to be trimmed for awhile. I would see how she does the rest of the season and decide from there. We have had a few that we didn't want to deal with and it is easier to tell them before the season starts that there is no room on our schedule for them.
  8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

You can't handle $90 for 45 minutes of keeping your emotions in check?

Diplomacy is a part of this business and if they pay that good for it, I would SO kiss up for that kind of money,
    man forget brown NOSING I would have brown streaks over my entire face!

Especially if you didn't hardly have to work, just be nice to her :)