Ran Out Diesel

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pnplawncare, Jan 25, 2006.

1. pnplawncare

pnplawncare LawnSite Member

Hey one my guys ran the truck out of diesel. Now im having trouble with it.Its a 1998 MITSUBISHI FE434
    Body Style: TILT CAB
    Engine Type: 3.3L L4 FI
    Manufactured In: JAPAN

I'`ve change the fuel filter. bled all the injectors. I dont know what to do with it now. What happens is it will sit and ideal fine. But I start driving it down the hwy when I get it up to about 55mph. It will run fine for about 3 minutes or so. Then the rpm will start to decline and go back up back down then it will just decline and the truck will start to slow down. I stoped pulled the fuel filter back off and its full of fuel. One time it was like half way full of fuel. I'm not sure what is wrong. Any Ideals?

2. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I would look at fuel pressure. If the truck has run for any lenght of time, the air is now out of the lines. Sounds like you have a loose fitting or a bad pump

3. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

Sounds like your fuel pump to me. We had the same thing happen recently with a diesel (well, we didn't run it out of fuel) and it was the fuel pump.

4. pnplawncare

Thanks for the response guys. I'll look into these today.

5. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Don't have any experience with the Mitsubishi Tilt Cabs, drove a Mercedes Sprinter Diesel Motorhome for many years. Had a similar problem a while ago, turned out that I had lot of sand in the tank which clog the first filter (inside the tank). If it is a common rail, I think the low pressure side should be around 70 psi, if it is a traditional injector pump, the low pressure is more in the 5 to 15 psi range, but again, I’m more familiar with the Mercedes Diesel engines.

If you have no fuel pressure gage installed (always a good investment on a diesel), disconnect SLOWLY the low pressure fuel line after the truck developed the problem, use a bicycle hand pump to put pressure towards the tank (to clean out the clog) and re-connect.

Just had another though, if your truck has a diesel / water separator, I would check and clean it out as well.

John

6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2000 Fuso, its a 4d34T motor (Truck is FE639HD).

Motor is a 3.9 liter.

Did you check the water trap? It is on the frame rail near the tank, and has a plastic drain. It should be full (of fuel). If the float has risen, it has water in the fuel. This is likely if you ran it out of fuel since it would suck everything out of the tank.

Not a bad idea every few years to drain the tank, unscrew the water trap/sediment bowl and clean it out, and then fill with fresh fuel. Run the truck with the old filter for a few days then put a new fuel filter on it.

Anyways, back to your problem: I presume you pumped fuel up using the manual lift (emergency) pump? Not sure about your truck but mine has a bleed screw at the top of the filter base, where you can crack that screw and manually pump air out of the system.

After you have pumped air out and started the truck, let it idle for at least 10 minutes to circulate all fuel, then you should be good to go. Put a new fuel filter on while you're at it, if yours is over 10,000 miles or 1 year old.

You have to preserve the injector pumps on these trucks. They are made by Zexel and are something like $3,000 at the dealer.

Ken

7. pnplawncare

It was water trap line. It was cloged for about 2in of the line. Sorry it took so long to respond to this thread.

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If this is an EFI engine with the engine OFF unhook the battery for about 5 minutes or so. Then rehook up the battery and start the engine. Let it sit and idle for 5 to 10 minutes and then take it down the road and see how it runs. I have seen a lot of EFI problems cleared up by resetting the ECU in this manner.