Ran Out Of Gas Want Start

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by puppypaws, Jul 17, 2006.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

A friend of mine called this afternoon cussing the 28 efi he has for all it was worth. He said he liked about 20 minutes being finished with a big job and ran out of gas in his right tank so he did what I told him to do if he ever ran out of gas and it did not work. He turned the switch on for a couple of minutes without trying to start the engine this is suppose to prime the system and it still would not crank, so I told him his check valve was stuck on the end of the fuel pickup line in the tank. I said take the line out of the tank and pull the check valve off put the line back in the tank and turn the switch on but don't try to crank it until you think the system is primed. He did this and it cranked right up and when he pulled the check valve back out of his pocket he sucked through it and for some reason it had freed itself, who knows why I thought he would have to manually break it lose but didn't. I told him to switch the mower off and put the check valve back in the line if he could while holding it under the gas so there would not be any air in the line even though I don't think it would have mattered I didn't want to hear him cussing any more. I have not had it happen to me but I've heard of a few check valves sticking like this on the 28 efi's.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The key is not to run it out of fuel.
    This is the first I have heard about the check valve doing this.

Pj

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Is the checkvalve a function of the engine, or is it installed by the mower manufacturer?

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It is part of the fuel system we install.

Pj

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Did he purge the system with the Schrader valve on the engine?

Sometimes I can catch it and switch over and not have any issues, other times I MUST purge the air out of this valve.

6. puppypaws

The Schrader valve was put there for the purpose of being able to attach a fuel pressure guage and check the system and also release the pressure from the system so you can take the injectors out and not have gas blown everywhere under pressure. I did not have him bleed the valve because it is not necessary, the electric fuel pump will pressurize the system and the engine will start right up if you do not have a restriction such as the stuck check valve or trash at the fuel pickup. You can use the Schrader valve as you suggested but it is not necessary and it could possibly get a little dangerous unless you are very careful not to get raw gas anywhere except the container you are bleeding into, just remember if you run out of gas switch to the full tank turn the key to the start position (DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE OVER) and let the electric fuel pump cycle for at least a minute then turn the engine over. The engine should start right up if not repeat the process and if it still does not crank look for a fuel restriction.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry Puppypaws....

I've run out several times already. (Hard to break a habit I had used for 5+ years) Each time I try to correct the problem by switching tanks as soon as it sputters. Sometimes I catch it, other times it misses and carries on for about 5 minutes.

On two occasions I had to bleed the system (what I was told to do by my dealer) to get it running correctly. Both times this worked.

First time I ran out, I quick switched tanks and after it shut down, I realized I switched to the OFF position. This was after using the DEMO 26LC unit where the same switching would have put me to the other tank with the center position being off.

If cracking this valve corrects the problem of a sputtering/non starting engine, why not do it?

8. puppypaws

Yes it is a great idea not to run one out of fuel which I haven't but these guys that cut for a living sometimes get other things on their mines and forget to switch tanks. The sight gage will fool you because it looks like you have maybe 3" in a tank and the fuel pickup will not be in the lowest part, this is something that needs to be addressed because the fuel line will move around and it should stay stationary in the lowest part of the tank. You know my dealer and he said " PJ may not be aware of the check valves sticking but the technical department is, I have only seen this on 3 or 4 machines but I made Hustler aware of the problem ".

9. puppypaws

As I said you can do this but you are not suppose to need to, I'm not saying this from my own knowledge this came straight from the people that make the engines. They have just changed the electronic module (computer) on the newer engines so that the electric fuel pump will only pump intermittently, the reason for this I do not know and neither did the Kohler rep. I guess they think they have a better idea but sometimes this is not the case.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Mine pumps intermittently.

And YES....the pickup lines NEED to be addressed. I run out with almost a GALLON of gas still in the tank! The pickup needs a weight on the end or something to keep it up front in the lowest portion of the tank.