Rangefinders: Anyone Use Them?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Mar 14, 2004.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I was just going over some posts I had missed reading, and there was some discussion over square footage and mowing times and such. Some suggestions were made to attain a surveyor's wheel to accurately measure property. I do it with shoe leather as well, but just step them off. My normal stride is almost exactly one yard, so it is pretty easy for me to figure an area, but, I was just curious if anyone has tried using the new laser rangefinders which are now used quite a lot by hunters? I suspect surveyor's models are available also, but are probably more expensive. These things are accurate to like one yard and, would, to me seem to be the perfect solution for quickly determining the area of a property. Neill
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I think that they would work great to a certain point, but then once smaller dimensions are needed I don't think that they would work as well. But it would be worth trying them out
  3. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I use a lazer range finder and a pocket pc to do measurements. It is a huge time saver. It does not work at distances less than 16 yards and in those areas I also use my perfect 1 yard step!! I find measuring wheels to be a huge time consumer. I save about 15 to 20 min in a large yard easily. If you get into a huge yard maybe an hour and I have measured about 40 of those in the last few weeks!!
    good luck, mike