Ranger Setup

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LandFakers, Jul 15, 2013.

1. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Yes, that was a big down fall. The entire rack system has been changed since... Heavy Duty broom/flag holders let the trimmer shaft snap in with a chain over and the backpack is slung off the same side. (curb side so they have a lesser chance of getting stolen)

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Not to mention the trimmer is saying steal me.

When I use my pu I put the blower and "kombi" trimmer in the cab.

3. LandFakers

from CT

Thats smart too. They dont stink though?

4. Townhouse Yards

Townhouse Yards LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

TTS, I appreciate the info. The only thing is that my father is helping me in purchasing my first truck, he is worried about getting me anything bigger than a compact pick up truck. I really am looking for the best compact pickup. My grandfather had a chevy s-10 he really liked. I rode in it a couple of times, hauling stuff, and it wasn't to bad for 6 cylinder. I was looking into a Toyota Tacoma as a possible truck. Thanks for the advice!

5. BckYrdLmbrJk

BckYrdLmbrJk LawnSite Member

I really like that setup for what you're doing with it. I'm a big fan of smaller walk behind in the bed setups (I should probably get on that myself for lawns that are a pain to get to with a trailer).

I am pretty sketched out by your string trimmer rack. While I award your ingenuity, I always think "What if I get in an accident" when setting stuff up (one of the reasons I don't even have any tool racks right now, although I'm sure at some point I will). If your trimmer falls off or that thing breaks, it'll cost you some cash to get a new one, and to get a decent trimmer rack. Now if you get in an accident that thing could go flying. Wood acts a lot differently than metal with high speed and force (probably why they don't make trucks out of it anymore :laugh:) While your sides look pretty safe, that weedwacker rack could break and splinter off and go flying... A decent locking single rack could cost a hundred or two hundred online I'm pretty sure

Just food for thought, not trying to be a dick.

6. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

I ran a ranger with the 2.9l for 15 years until it was to wore out. I pulled a trailer and with clutch wearing out every four years years or so. Reliability is incredible. The racks look good but you need something covering that back window so that nobody loses their head. And I agree that current trimmer set-up is DANGEROUS. You do a head-on and that thing will become a missle

7. LandFakers

from CT

Could agree more with you fellas, thats why the rack system for the trimmer has been changed to a much safer design. I fill put some pics up asap!

8. vegandude

Don't post any pictures so that we can keep griping at you:laugh::laugh::laugh:

9. LandFakers

from CT

Better I think
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. vegandude

Looks better but I would use nut/bolt and no screws especially on the backpack. I am a firm believer in Murphy's law and been penalized enough by him. In our city the roads are all pothole and I would worry the backpack would bounce off. Where did you get the clips on the trimmer, I could use several of them, I think they look awesome.