Ranger vs. Tacoma

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tamo, Nov 4, 2006.

1. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

I'm just finishing up my first looking to get a pickup. right now I only have 2 21" mowers, weedeater, and blower that I'm tossing in the back of a pathfinder. now I need a truck and trailer. I also do plan on doing aeration in next year.

I thinking about a smaller size truck for gas mileage and that's all I need right now. I'm looking at late 90's ranger or v6 tacoma, what would you guys go with? I've never had a ford before, is a ranger reliable? How many miles are too many? Is a v6 Tacoma enough power to tow and haul?

I know I can get a lot more truck for my money with a ranger and I assume it is a stronger truck than tacoma.

thanks for the input

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

look at bare bones silverados, with the V6. But i'd go with the tacoma for reliability. A guy i know, uses an 80's 4 cylnder tacoma with almost 300k on the origanal everything, and tows a large commercial WB daily.

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I'd go with the Tacoma.

4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have had 4 Tacomas..........go with the Tacoma...

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

There is no comparison between a ranger and a Tacoma. The Tacoma wins hands down.

6. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

thanks for the input so far. I was expecting most people to bash tacomas for being soft.

how much are you all capable of hauling/towing with the v6 toyota?

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

The Toy wins but in this industry they are both just that, a "Toy" good for running around.

This is coming from a landscape and hardscape construction point of view. Pull a small trailer around and never nothing more sure, its okay but don't get a ranger..............2 bags of mulch and you're close to GVW.

If you are any good at what you do you will out grow the "Toy" in just a few months. Think ahead and get yourself something like a Chevy 1500 4.8L V8.......and don't think about how cool this or that is, get the 8ft bed.

8. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

I'm going to look bigger, but just curious, would a 1/2 ranger be a pretty good work truck?

thanks

9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I don't know man. I have had several Rangers, and they have all been good trucks. The Toyota will be double what a Ranger will be. They are a great truck, but I think a Ranger will do you just fine unless you plan on keeping the Toyota till the tires fall off. You will not find a better bang for your buck w/ a Ranger. I would try to get a deal on a ranger, and then sell it when you need something bigger. For instance, I bought a 99 Ranger 4-cyl 5sp w/ 80k off ebay for $3200. When I get tired of it, I can sell it for at least what I have in it and maybe more. Granted I just use it for daily driving, but when I started 10 years ago I used a similar Ranger to pull a 60" Dixie around.

10. guven

guven LawnSite Member

I have a Tacoma , I put 33''wb and 21'' pb in the bed and next year I am going to use trailer with it, I hope I can make it , because I am going to haul scag tiger cub and 33'' wb with it.I love my truck , I haul 3 yards mulch in the bed no problem , mine has 4 cyl and 4x4
    go with Tacoma , very good truck , I hope it can handle 6x10 trailer .