Rank-em': Shindaiwa, Tanaka, Maruyama, Echo...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J. Bret Holder, Mar 10, 2002.

1. J. Bret Holder

J. Bret Holder LawnSite Member

OK. I have been using Maruyama trimmers since 1994. The past few years I have noticed a disturbing increase with poor engine trouble or failure on several of the newer machines. We all know that there is no time for slowdown, especially during the busy season.

So, I am going to change over to another brand. I am very interested in Shindaiwa; but also I am very interested in Tanaka's line of trimmers. They seem to offer a huge variety of engines and seem enthusiastic towards the durability and performance of their equipment. Anyone have any experience with Tanaka? Is it well built? Does it kick GRASS ?

OK, how would you rank the leading string trimmers in the industry? List your favorite models vs. other models if you choose. 1 - best > least desired trimmer. List as many or few as you want to.

I would really like to see a consensus of what the best trimmers are in our industry based on your opinions.

Let it rip!

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

The one and only- Redmax
    If I had to say second- Stihl
  3. turfnerd

turfnerd LawnSite Member

I've had the same tanaka weedeater since a was 14 im now 21.

Its an old TBC 220, its never had a wrench on the motor. Last

year the shaft finally stripped out, I had the mechanic weld the

shaft to the gear. i now use it as a back up. I bought a TBC

3010, that thing has power!! It is a little heavier than most weedeaters but, I wouldn't trade in, for nothin.