Rank the trimmer manufacturers

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Metalgear, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Metalgear

Metalgear LawnSite Member

I am trying to find out which manuf. is the Best when it comes to string trimmers. Usually after some lengthy research I can narrow it down. This time I am hearing a million different things . So I'll leave it to the pros to give me the inside scoop on trimmers. So have some fun and list your brand preference if you will, I would deeply appreciate it .To narrow it down I am looking for a lightweight, commercial grade machine with a straight shaft,STEEL driveshaft ,good power but most of all a tight-smooth unit. Yes in short I want it all! But I know somewhere out there is a general consensus among professionals as to which manufacturer rules the string trimmer industry(not the sales leader).Thanks for your help!!

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yea right, a general consensus. Stihl, redmax, shindawa, echo are all good, but we all have our preferences. I would say the general consensus is there is not consensus. The one that each of us own is the best in our minds. :)

With that said, Stihl makes the best trimmers.:D

3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

65hoss probably hit it right on the head, "the one that we own is the best in our minds". Shindaiwa T-230. Pretty light and plenty of power. Thats my choice. I would like to try a Stihl, just to compare.

4. bwiesner

bwiesner LawnSite Member

Makita/Robin, Echo, Shindaiwa, Husky, Red Max, and Stihl. Any you prefer but buy Stihl last. Later Butch

5. Remo Sid

Remo Sid LawnSite Member
    from USA

Wouldn't have nothing but Stihl FS 85,s for my work crew.
    Have a Echo SRM 2100 at home.

I use d to use the ECHO,s at work. Would get about a year out of one. Tried Stihl, and get about 2 1/2-3 yr,s use. At work we use our weedeaters year round. Cut grass in summer, and cut brush in winter.

The other big difference between the two is the Echo is much lighter, and comfortable to use.

Haven't had any hands on experience with the Shindaiwa (sic?)

Remo

Small Engine Repair Help

6. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

I have tried several other trimmers and I find that Sthil FS 85 is the best trimmer I ever used.

7. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I would say the general consensus is there is not consensus.

If you could find a way to put them in an order of best to worst, what you would find is that if the best scored a 98 out of 100, the worst might be 96 out of 100. In other words, the stuff we use is all pretty good. You need to find something you can afford, is comfortable to use, and (most imortantly) a dealer who will support you after you take it home.

8. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

My stihl's go for years and have basically zero maintenance costs.

9. If I would rank them it would be shindaiwa,redmax,stihl and echo
    All four are great and you shouldnt have a problem with any of these top four

10. lawnboy87

lawnboy87 LawnSite Member

Yeah, Stihl seems to have the best trimmers, and the most Accessories for them, too:blob3: :laugh: