1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rank these mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, May 19, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Please rank these 3 mowers:

2002 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 52"
    w/17hp pull start Kaw

2002 Great Dane Scamper 52"
    w/17 hp pull start Kaw

2002 Scag SWZ 52"
    w/17 hp pull start Kaw

I'm getting pretty serious about buying a new mower but I'm stuck on these three. The one I buy will also include a swivel sulky from mowerSulky. The only thing holding me down is my parents, cause they think my current mower is fine. The only one I've been able to demo is the Great dane and it did a great job. The Scag dealer runs demoes through 3 states so it's kinda hard to get one and the Exmark dealer hasn't emailed me back yet from an email I sent like 2 weeks ago. Give me your thoughts about them. (Advantages and Disadvantages)
  2. marley

marley LawnSite Member

I don't know about great dane or scag but I do own a exmark 48 inch hydro viking that is in it's fourth season and it is indestructable / super dependable. Could not be happier with it's performance and durabilty. I have a friend who owns a 2001 52 inch turf tracer, same story.
  3. So if your mower is just fine why buy another?
  4. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 52"tracer hydro an i love it !it's a 99 model .i don't know much about the other brands but they are all good
  5. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

First off your comparing a floating deck exmark with fixed decks of other machines. Scag offers floating but gd doesnt. How big are your 14 accounts. Seem a little small to have a $5000 machine going. I had always thought bigger is better but unless your really going to be using the machine all day every day after school or w/e than you should wait on getting something else.
  6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I cannot comment on the Scag or Great Dane as I've never owned one.

But I did purchase a 2002 Exmark Turf Tracer 36" with a 15 hp Kawasaki and ECS Controls last tuesday. It also has a Jungle Jim velky. It is simply AWESOME! Powerful, and stripes nicely.

....now if I can only learn to drive it better and faster! :blush:

This is my first commercial walkbehind (hence the need for practice time) and I bought it for very small lawns and for gated situations. I bought a 2001 Lazer Z last spring (60" w/ 23 Kaw.) and absolutely love that machine but found myself turning away potential work due to small size of lawns and gates.

I decided to stick with Exmark due to the quality and dependability exhibited by the Lazer and because I really appreciate my dealer. Yep, I'm 'spoiled' on Exmark now.

I hope I can get the hang of operating the walkbehind as quickly as I did the ZTR. In 'position 6' the Turf Tracer really covers some ground...6.5 mph, or so says the manual. I believe it too.
  7. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Well lets see here, first off what is your current mower? If it is running fine and is efficent enough for your business and making you decent money then keep the machine you have for a few more years.
    Since yoru only 14 and going to school, i suggest saying to your parents that with a new faster mower you can get done quicker than say a garden tractor which means you can get to that homework that your parents want you to focus on:D That may help.
    Im only 19, and have been fortunate enough to have my dad help me in my business that i havent had to pay for a mower by myself, just pitch in some money for it, and pay him back later when i go off on my own. I too go to school and with my brothers help now and two ZTR mowers, Tiger and SWZ it has gone alot faster. My vote is for SWZ, dealer told me its the best selling Walkbehind Hydro, have a 52inch 17Kaw stripes great, pulls us around nicely, built to last.
    Good Luck
  8. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

The reason I'd like to buy a new mower is several things. The mower has a lot of hours on it, track adjustment is screwed up, engine is too weak for tall grass, cut quallity is starting to deteriorate and it it really costing a lot to fix it so y not just buy a new one that will last the next five years at least. They think my mower is fine but they don't know how bad it really is.

My lawns are mostly from 15,000 to 30,000 sq. ft. so they are pretty big but they are no pastures. The thing is a lot of people don't want a rider on they're nice lawns so... I also don't have the financing for one.

The mower has been sold two times so far and really needs replacing. I mean it runs ok but should be a lot better.
    I have always loved the Scag SWZ but I'm wanting to try something different. Well I might change my mind after a demo with the Scag and Exmark which I haven't done yet but I plan to do this week , and go with the Scag afterall. I see a lot of SWZ's on trailers around here. Don't see too many Scampers but I see a lot of Chariots and surfers around but i still don't see any Exmarks at all.
  9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I would recommend an electric start on anything over a 14HP.

10. What kind of mower do you have now? Be specific.

Now most all those mowers run about $5k or so.

Do you really want to spend that on a mower just yet?

Would a small ZTR be better?

Would a lower cost belt drive work?

Can you justify a new mower?

Can you pay cash for it?

How do you transport it?

How well do you do maintenance?

What are you really looking for in a mower?