1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ranked 1st on google for lawn care then fell back 2 pages overnight!

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by LIBERTYLANDSCAPING, Mar 10, 2010.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Not sure what happened? I moved my site up to #1 on google for area cities + lawn care, mole control, fertilizing, etc. Had not made any changes for a few weeks all was well, then bang! Google bumped me back 2+ pages! If google penalizes you for keyword stuffing, do they let you know? Do they pull your website from ALL of there results? Not saying I was keyword stuffing, but the word lawn did appear alot on some pages. (11% on highest) I pulled word "lawn" out as much as I could & replaced with "turf" where I could. Other than being penalized for keyword overuse, I don't know what happened?

Any ideas?
  2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

What says you were penalized?

One time, I added an "s" to designer in a couple of sentences to give a couple of occurances of "designers" plural.

In a couple of weeks, went from like #300 to #3 for "Portland Landscape Designers".

Its not a niche I'm persuing heavily right now, but that tweak helped me understand things a bit better.

Some big changes are not neccesarily associated with a penalizing scenerio.

3. The Lawn Connection

The Lawn Connection LawnSite Member

If your website is new and you worked hard to get it to the top without paying some google adwords or somebody then yeah you got pushed back. I went from 4 to 5 pages back to number 3 on first page when you typed (lawn care Clarksville TN). Then I fell back again to page 2, then back to one but not as high. Just keep on trying eventually you will be there again. Takes time and patience!
  4. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

If your site isn't a year old it will move up and down. I would suggest you put "lawn Care town" Whatever town you want the most work from - in the title, description and keyword tags, also on your page. It would help if you add some more words to the page also.

this is how many links are showing up in yahoo.
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=linkdomain:liberty-lawn.com -site:liberty-lawn.com

You could use some more links also, go to http://www.socialmarker.com/. There are videos on how to use the form. This will get you some links to your site. It will take a little over a hour to sign up at all the sites. Then it is just a push of the button to get the links. You can do this every couple months. I would make a free google email account each time you do it.
  5. seabee24

seabee24 LawnSite Senior Member

do a search for google keywords tool, and you can figure out what words people are most likeley to type in, and where your compeditors fall short. like the post above, simple things like adding an "s" or instead of calling it mulch, call it bark - use the key word tool and find out where to go from there
  6. mikhailnmc

mikhailnmc LawnSite Member

Another thing you may want to look into is changing the text on your home page on a frequent basis. After a while, the web spiders will not crawl static pages and your rankings will drop if it is not updated.

One way a lot of people get around this is by having a rotating block of text such as customer comments, tip of the day, etc.