Ransom/Bobcat Fastcat?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lynden-Jeff, May 6, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi,

Are these mowers any good? I was thinking about a 52" 19 HP kawi vs a scag. Both are from tyhe same dealer and he said scag was better then bobcat but they where still good machines and easier to get parts for. This being said parst access is an important thing. I also like that they are cheaper then the scags (althought im definatly willing to pay for the scag if thats what I decide to go wit). Bobcats don't seem as popular as others but ANY info would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Jeff

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Bobcat over scag any day of the week.

3. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

I have Bobcats and SCAGs, both are fine mowers and very trouble free machines.

4. Lynden-Jeff

I was looking at the new "fast cats". I noticed they don't seem to have any anti scalp rollers (atleast on there website pics). Is this a major downside? I would think it is but maybe im wrong. Now I really have to rethink this!

Thanks guys and any more imput greatly appreciated!

Jeff

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I think the Fastcats are too new for anyone to be able to say yet...

But anyways, no way would I get a 19hp 52".
    You need atleast 23hp on a 52".

This is why you will see these and similar HP ratio machines for sale all the time.

6. Lynden-Jeff

Hi,

Well if I got the fast cat I would get a 48 with 19 HP (biggest one they got for the fast cats) but ive been told that will not be to great for super wet/tall grass. I was thinking maybe the ZT-223 ZT-225 with a 52" deck. I really need to go back and talk prices with him to. I downloaded the spec sheet which contains the ZT 223 but the website doesnt show it. Maybe its discontinued?

Thanks
    Jeff

7. Envy Lawn Service

OK, the ZT series I know something about...

As for the literature, it seems to always be screwed up. It's just a thing with them. I don't know if it is a literature issue, or if it is something they do with changing up production back and forth.

Personally, I happen to think Bobcat makes a nice BASIC ZTR. They seem to be good little no-frills machines. Nothing special and nothing over built. But not substandard either. Sometimes the price is not all that bad either.

I liked their ZT-227. Really nice quiet smooth driving machine.

But I think you should demo both the Scag and the Bobcat first if those are your only two choices.

8. Lynden-Jeff

Hi,

Thanks. Are the parts on the bobcats still almost as good as scag? This will be my first ZTR and im trying to learn all I can before I invest the amount of money it will cost.

Thanks
    Jeff

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I am with envy on the HP thing. 19 might not be enough for 52" mower. Our 48" lazer has a 18hp kohler and it has been plenty of power for over 2,600 hours so a 52" machine would need around 20 if its a kohler or 23 if its a kawi.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Well, I have never had the opportunity to use a Scag. But from what I can see, Scag over builds their machines extra strong in some areas. That in a nutshell was what I was getting at about the Bobcats. With brands like Scag for example, things are done/built in excess... like tanks. While on the other hand, Bobcats are just a basic build, but still certainly adequately built for commercial use.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing either. Heck, Scag and Bobcat were designed by the same guy I think... Dane Scag. I'm just saying there are differences that will matter to some people and not matter to others. Some guys might have employees beating on their stuff and need certain things extra heavy duty, while other guys may have softer ground and be looking for a lighter build... And that goes on into other areas too, but you get the point I'm sure.

I think Bobcat has a nice package.