1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ransome AR 250 "striping"

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DJN, Jul 13, 2008.

1. DJN

DJN LawnSite Member

I have a Ransome AR 250 with 38hp Kubota diesel. The mower has an 84" cut. There are three independent hydraulic decks in front, and two underneath. The mower has started leaving little strips of unmowed grass, but I don't see any way to adjust the decks. I can't seem to find anyone locally that knows anything either. Anyone that is familiar with this machine and could give me some advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Now that's one Monster of a mower.:usflag:
    You need to find exactly where it's not cutting. Find an uncut piece of grass and drive the mower in a straight line for about 50ft, stop, then dismount and visually check where the cut is missing. I strongly suspect one of the units has had an impact and knocked it out of alignment with the others, causing a small strip of grass to remain uncut. This should be evident if you view from the rear of the mower and visually follow the line of uncut grass to the machine. Or, maybe one of the units has a blade that is not driving properly.
    If one of the unit arms has been damage from my limited experience they are not easy get re straightened 100%, get a price on a new arm, sometimes quicker and restores the unit 100%. atb Phil
  3. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Make sure the deck arm bushings don't have too much play in them....Check each pan assy and make sure you have the right pitch on the blades. You can go to www.jacobsenturf.com and hit the dealer locator to find a dealer in your area or go to a local golf course.
  4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Also, check to make sure that the edge of the blade is not rounding over.
    You need a nice 90 degree angle from the edge of the blade to the end of the blade to prevent this.

If they're rounded, just replace them.