Rant: Scabs and Lowballers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mack77, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Lovingreen

Lovingreen LawnSite Member

We all fight this every day. I try to set myself apart, but with such a low barrier to entry and most clients that dont really put alot of value in "legitimate" or higher quality, Its always going to be a fight. Some days I want to throw my hands up and walk away, but I love it and keep at it.

With that said, if I can't at the very least maintain my current profit margin (which has diminished substantailly) over the next year or two, my business will be swallowed by the highest bidder and I'll move on.

2. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

Your licensing and insurance are of virtually no value to your residential customer. They protect you. I have homeowners insurance to protect me. I could hire the neighbor kid and I am covered. I just want my lawn mowed. If I liked you I would pay a slight premium to do business with you. A slight premium.

3. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure we could complain about this until we're blue in the face. If you're mowing $20 lawns, or building $50,000 patios, theres gonna be one somewhere. Look back at your business since you started, how many have come and gone? Hundreds? So yeah, it frustrates us to no end, but if we hang in there thats all thats important.