Raped by Dealer...???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

What do you mean by "brake box"? A brake control?
    If so, was it an after market one or did you get a factory one and install?
    Was this the 07 Chevy?

I install the brake controls at my full time job. We can have them installed in about 20min. I don't know how you could install one wrong and it drain the battery.

Please tell me what they did & how you hooked it up "wrong"

2. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

This is an 07 new style chevy. It is a tekonsha trailer brake control and my uncle installed it so I have no idea. I believed the guy from the dealer only because the box was not lit up anymore like it used to be (been meaning to have someone look at it). He said it was draining 120 mili-amps or some crap like that.

3. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

The Tekonsha vehicle specific wiring harnesses are like $10 if I remember right. Good alternative to splicing into the wiring.

4. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

Not really any help now but that is why I always tell dealers or places like that, that if something that is wrong is not covered under warranty, call me first before they do the work and then charge up the ass for it. Looks like they probably charged for them to figure out what the problem was which probably added up pretty quick if it's hourly.

Edit: I have the same brand of brake controller in my truck and when I first installed it I noticed it stayed lit after I turned my truck off, come to find out it is supposed to power down 15 minutes after the truck is turned off. I would possibly call the company and see if they can offer any compensation since it obviously didn't turn off when it was supposed to.

5. Horsepower Lawns

Chevy stopped putting the plugs under the dash in 07.
    What control is it, they make 4 that we carry.
    The 9030 one has a light that stays on anytime a trailer is plugged in, but that light is an LED & will drain your battery in about 6 months.
    What one do you have?
    Sounds like the dealer took your $$.
    There are alot of good techs out there, but we had one here that couldn't find a blown fuse.

6. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Too bad they didn't assign a better mechanic to your truck. He might have saved a couple hundred bucks.

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

It was the newest, best one last year... and it gets better cause the brake controler is fried so the fat end of a grand lost for this one.

8. Horsepower Lawns

Sounds like a Prodigy or a P3. You can fry one hooking it up wrong. I still don't know how it would drain the battery. Make sure the dealer tells you what they did & post it here.

Don't let them just say we rewired the controler. Make them tell you what wire was were & where they moved it to.

9. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

I should have done that...

10. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

I have been on a electrical hunt before and its no easy job somedays. Did you tell him you had problems after the brake box was installed? If not, it would take some time to find the drain.