1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rapid Load Trimmer Heads

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wave~life, Aug 8, 2003.

1. wave~life

wave~life LawnSite Member

Was wondering how many people use the new Echo Rapid Load Trimmer Heads.Do they save time or are they a pain?

I was thinking about buying one next week but if its not going to save me time I will just stay with the spool feed.

Thanks for your input.

Lawn Service
    Marietta Georgia
  2. springman26

springman26 LawnSite Member

I don't have the rapid loader but I have a new Echo head. I got it from my uncle who is an Echo dealer. I think its some type of prototype. When you wind the string on you wind it on in two different halfs. Its tough to explain but the bottom of the spool has a groove through the middle that splits the line top and bottom. I'll have to take a pic. This system seems to work very well. Its a little tricky at first but it never tangles. I've been curious about the rapid loader also. Give it a shot.
  3. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

I use the Echo rapid loader. I love it. It doesn't necessarily save time when you need to add line (I think a self feeding or tap type is faster), but it does save time when you would need to re-string the head when it runs out.

Also, what I like is that I can change line sizes quickly without changing or re-stringing the head.

And, if you have a new person, the learning curve for changing the line is much smaller than with a traditional spool.
  4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I bought one about a month ago and LOVE it. It's so much easier to use and like drobson said its a breeze to change trimmer line size. I pre-cut a bunch and leave them in the truck, it takes about 2 seconds to change.
  5. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one about a week ago,

I run it with 155 line, and it does go a long way before change is needed.

I like it so far.
  6. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

I have been using one about a year now and I like it. I precut various sizes and carry some in my pocket while working.

I was having a problem with .095 line not staying in place. I bought a replacement head, but before replacing the old one I took it apart and it had a little dirt and grass in it. A few taps on the work bench, back together and good as new.

Home Depot carries the head for about $20.00.
  7. wave~life

Thanks for all your feedback guys,I plan on going out to home depot today and buying the new head.Had a bad experence yesterday with my old spool head,took forever to thread yesterday when I was tring to finish a job.

Lawn Service
    Marietta Georgia
  8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate to bring to life an old post like this but I have a question and there is no sense in making a new thread. Anyhow, here it goes.

I bought a new Echo SRM 210i and it came with the Rapid Loader head on it. I haven't used it yet, but I don't think I'm going to like killing the engine, turning the unit upside down, fishing two previously cut lines out of my pocket, inserting them in, the head, and starting it back up - as opposed to simply bumping the head for the same effect. It just seems like a major pain the butt to me.

I tend to have great luck with a spool because I'm good at winding it and I like the extended period of time I go without re-stringing.

I know, I know. . ."Why'd ya buy it in the first place!!!" Cuz I got a good deal on it!

The question: Should I get the "tap-for-string" head or give this this Rapid Loader a fair shake??
  9. wave~life

I think its all depends on what your most comfortable with and the size jobs you have.If you doing just a quickie small yard then the rapid load is the way to go.

I used the rapid loader head alot last summer,it does'nt take long to load and can save time,but that depends on the thickness of the string your using.I would give it a whirl so to speak and see if you like it better.No harm trying something new.The reason I switched was caus I Just got tired of constantly running out of string when a job was almost finished.

Let us know how you like it.

10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i personally hated it.

i always trim with the guards off and liek to run a little extra line. the concept of having the line shorted down in 10 seconds and then being letf with only a smaller stub is not efficient. also, my head would always fill up with dirt and crap and i would have to clean out all the junk prior to inserting the new piece of line.

ill take a bump head any day please.