1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rapid Toader

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by txlawnking, Jul 7, 2004.

1. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Well the stock echo style head on my Kawi trimmer took a dump Friday ( the white plastic piece inside started skipping, causing mega auto-advance) I tried to get the goodies to fix it Saturday, (the white bits) but they played dumb and said they didn't have the pieces. SOOO, I went down to Lowe's ( only place open on Sun.) and bought an Echo labeled Rapid Loader head. This thing is the biggest piece of S**T I've ever purchased!!! It is absolutelly useless. I trim for 5 mins max, more like 2 seconds if it's bad weeds, and the wreched thing breaks off the line. Then you better have frickin' needle nose pliers to get out the pieces.. So ya'll have been warned save you $25!!!!!

Also I've noticed that the Husky T 35 head is awesome I know they sell it universal, but the package didn't say if it fits Kawi. I believe Kawi has an 8mm thread? Has anyone put that head on one please help.. If I knew for sure it would fit the !@#$% Loader would be in the dumpster in 30 seconds! Please help guys I gotto work tomorrow. :)
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Rapid loaders on all our trimmers for four years. No problems. Best money I've spent.

We didn't buy ours from a retail store though. They hold three lines as opposed to two as which the box store sells. We also used the echo line that is not round but an X shape or whatever shape it has. I can trim normal properties growth for dang near a whole day without even having to change the strings. Obviously the more you try to cut down mailbox poles and or grind down rocks, they won't last that long. My employees can't believe how long a piece lasts for me. They need to figure out how to trim properly.
  3. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I took a brief look at those rapid load heads when I bought my echo. First thing that came to my mind was how much of a pain it would be to keep reloading it while trimming. I spent the $20 on a standard head instead. The rapid loader might be fine for a homeowner, but I'll stick with winding line in the normal heads. Much more effecient for what we do everyday.
  4. txlawnking

You said it, man. I'll take winding a spool once a day as well, thank you very much. Does anyone know if the Husky head fits my Kawi? I know I like it, used my Father N Law's Husky, and thats the only thing I like about it. :D
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I bought one last year for my Robin. I got tired of loading it as well. By the way, I switched to square trimmer line and it's awesome.
  6. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Have the Rapid Loader on my Echo and love it. I like the fact that you can put a FRESH piece of line on when needed. It took some getting used to, but now I can load new pieces of line in between trim areas, doesn't slow me down at all.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I just use a bump head and carry a set of pruners in my back pocket. I just cut a sharp end, roll it over and cut the other side to match (I use the pruner as a guide, by looking some sort of mark on them to match the length on the other side). Then, I just bump a bit more out and I'm good to go. I can even wind some back in if I get to some thick stuff that requires more power. The whole "reloading" process for me takes about 1o -15 seconds.
  8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

So you never actually tried one, yet you can make an educated answer as to their worth?
  9. txlawnking

I know they suck for me. I'm still curious, though does anybody know if the Husky T-35 head will fit my Kawi trimmer.. That's what I'd really like to know.
  10. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

Of course I can, and I did. Show me how it will save time stopping to replace a piece of string over bumping a head, and maybe I'll revisit the idea. I thought expressing opinions was permitted here?