raptor blades from stens.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by husqvarna600c, Jul 14, 2004.

1. husqvarna600c

husqvarna600c LawnSite Member

I have a Husqvarna 1542xp rider. I was thinking about trying a set of Raptor mulching blades from Stens. the mower came with mulching blades. The cutting performance on the mulching blades was poor. I switched to high lift bagging blades but side discharged and the cut was beautiful except a massive amount of clippings left behind.

Any suggestions?

2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Are raptors like gators?

3. adbradley

adbradley LawnSite Member

I run them on my JD riders and they give excellent results whether mulching or discharging. They rarely leave any clumps when discharging unless the grass is very tall or wet. I highly recommend them...

4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

My primary blade the Raptors on my Toro Z588E.

Better than all others I've tried to date in MY conditions.

They have the notched sail like a Gator but a wavey shapped cutting edge, i.e standard and closer to the centre the cut edge raises, pics in the other raptor thread, they work great for me.

But I set my baffle on the turbo force deck to suit jobs, this makes it I can manipulate blade performance when side discharging.

I have not used them with a mulch kit yet, on maintained jobs you will most likely find you don't need the kit...

5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Raptors differ from gators in that they force the clippings toward the discharge chute. Gators force the clippings toward the inside of the blade to be recut. If this makes any sense.

6. Tonyr

The fins face inward like a Gator though?

The ones I bought do anyway, my Raptors throw the clippings toward the spindle, discharge much smaller clippings than a standard blade.

Maybe there are different styles of Raptors?

I can post a pic later of my Raptors with about 30 hours work on them if yas want...let me know if you want so I can fit it in.

7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Tony are they Wavy Like This w/Gator Fins !

wavy!.jpg

8. notforprofit

notforprofit LawnSite Member

Fareway-

Yes, the Raptors I saw were like yours with Gator fins. Tony's the expert though.

Tony, question- How the heck do you sharpen those rascals? I would consider a set for my Yazoo/Kees, but they look like they'd be a pain to sharpen. Would the Exmark style with the 5/8" through hole wotk for my Yazoo ( 5/8" bolt hole)? Thanks.

9. Tonyr

Hi guys...donno about being an expert LOL>

Doesn't expert stand for drip under pressure? ha, ha.

(I think you are right! :eek: )

Fareway, mate, yes.

Sharpening them there rascals....hmmm, tell you after lunch, about to go do a blade change/charpen...

Shouldn't be too bad, I fasten the blade to a piece of 3 x 11/2 which lays flat obviously, this is fastened into a vise clamp.

very easy, very simple, very cheap, but works.

I use an angle grinder so blade sitting flat shouldn't be a prob.

here is my raptor when new...all shiney now!

2004_0611image00workraptor0002.jpg

10. Tonyr

notforprifit, sorry didn't answer your question,

the exmarks blades look better, curves not as steep off memory.

The exmark blades are 3 or 3.5 inches wide, can't remember, so if your mower has a 2.5 inch wide blade saddle they won't work.

If you are going to use wider than standard blades I'd manually turn them to make sure there is clearance.

The exmark has a solid foil/sail which directs clippings toward the centre, may last longer, wish I could of tried them but toro's blade saddle wouldn't allow it.

With Raptors you can see by my pic that the fins guide the clipping in, not out.

good luck.