Raptor SD 60" rattles and adjustments

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by mn_rsd, Jul 22, 2014.

1. mn_rsd

mn_rsd LawnSite Member

I have owned my RSD for a few weeks now and overall I am very impressed with the machine. The power, handling and cut quality have been outstanding.

My biggest complaint with the machine has been the rattles and noises.

1) I know Hustler is looking at the clutch rattle situation already and there is another thread started so I'll leave that one alone for now.

2) I had a low hollow plastic type noise that was most obvious at low RPM. At first I suspected the air filter cover but I found it was actually the filter itself vibrating against the bottom of the housing it sits in. I rectified this with a small piece of foam rubber attached under the filter to absorb the impact. Works great :)

3) I identified metallic rattle coming from the right side of the machine. After feeling around I found it was the deck catch. The metal piece that catches the deck when you put it all the way up in the transport position. There are 4 thick washer and the bracket on this mount with A LOT of slop. For a quick fix I installed a rubber washer from a garden hose I had laying around. It provide just enough compression to keep the noise down but still allows the lever to fall into place when you raise the deck :)x2

4) The final adjustment I made was to the discharge chute. I felt like it was pointing too far down with the outer edge dragging in the grass if I was cutting the grass over 3". I don't like the idea of bypassing this safety feature with a bungee cord and holding it all the way up. On my old mower I had tried to hold the chute partially up with a bungee and found it bounced a lot. Instead, I came up with the idea of installing a bolt as shown in the picture. I belive the bolt is a 5/16" and it actually threaded in perfect. By adjusting the bolt in and out I was able to get the chute raise about 1.5" and my clumping problems are gone! I am afraid the bolt will start to wear into the edge of chute from the vibration so I am looking at reinforcing that edge with a thin piece of sheet metal or shim stock. :)x3

I am not sure if these ideas are new. maybe someone else has something similiar, or better, in place. For now these are working for me.

20140719_190535_small.jpg

20140719_180515_small.jpg

2. hustlermidwest

hustlermidwest LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you, I will pass most of this along. I say most because playing with the discharge chute is a no-no. I understand the issue you see with that chute down and the grass discharge. But we have to follow guidelines put in place by the fed's dealing with discharge/ Those blades are spinning over 200mph and can throw an object farther than I can. We produce those units within the standards and suggest they stay that way. The other ideas are sound! Thank you for your input.

Brian O

3. mn_rsd

mn_rsd LawnSite Member

Sounds good Brian! One note, a better solution for item #3 would be a wave washer or possible fiber washers. I was just going with what I had around house.

Any news on the clutch rattle fix?

4. hustlermidwest

Just bandaids for now but getting close. got briefed by an engineer today that we are close.

Brian O

5. Gig

Gig LawnSite Member

My dealer states that he put on the most recent solution for the clutch rattle, when I purchased the unit. I believe it was the longer bolt and washers. However, the rattle that happens when my mower deck is engaged is driving me nuts. As soon as I shut the clutch off the rattle is gone. Am I missing something? Is there a more recent correction for this I've had the mower back to the dealer twice with no resolve. I've only had this mower for less than 2 months I just hit 10 hours on it and getting really frustrated. Hauling this back and forth to the dealer is not very convenient Granted it is not the cost of a commercial mower, but it is still a fair amount of money to pay and still have all of these nuisance issues to deal with. I had all of the other rattle items listed above as well as the safety flap clumping.

6. hustlermidwest

There are a few units that the clutch rattles because of a air gap in the anchor. It will have no harm to you machine. Our engineers are closing in on a complete fix. You can check back to the forum or your dealer in a couple of weeks.

Brian O