Raptors verses Excaliburs...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, May 30, 2004.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Raptors verses Excaliburs...pros and cons of each?

For a 60'' turbo force deck, Toro.

Mainly cut low quality and stalky long grases, need small clippings and just wanting to compare these to Gators and Atomics and Toro Recycler, so far the Recycler is good, haven't tried the Raptor or Excalibur yet...

Thanks for your comments.

2. Tonyr

C'mon guys,

surely some of you know about these blades?

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

will the excaliburs work on a toro? assuming you mean exmark's excaliburs.

4. Tonyr

Well....good question :)

I thought I read here somewhere someone is using these on their Toro, had a feeling it may of been Odin, just hope he reads this thread.

I'm keen to see what differences a toothed foil like Raptor does different from a solid foil of the Exmak Excalibur...

5. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

whats the difference between Raptor and Gator

6. Tonyr

blade sail or foil if you wish.

Raptor has a gator like sail, excalibur is like a normal blade, solid.

Both have bi level cutting edges.

7. excaliber's are hi lift's ...they can be notched or solid foil . ...just make sure the blades have a 5/8th inch hole and are 20 and a 1/2 inchs from blade tip to tip .....the new toro's and the lazer's have the same blade hole and the same blade length.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The first blade is a Rapter,Second is rotaries mulching blade Third is the gator magnum.
    John

829resized.jpg

9. Tonyr

Thanks guys, looks like I made a boo-boo :)

Why I thought what I did was on the Exmark web site I looked at the micro mulch system, a pic of the underside of a deck fitted up to mulch, and the blades looked like raptors only different foil, take a look, just the way the pic is makes the blade look wavey, bi level.

Sorry for the mix up guys.

10. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Since you have all three - how would you say they compare , John ?

The pictures show that the Gator has an inward twist to each of the little wings. You can see how the clippings would whirl back in toward the center and get cut up a second or third time before they finally exited.

The one I don't understand is the Rotary brand [#2] The winglets all have an outward twist to them. This should make the clippings blow right out the chute, with no opportunity to get more chopping of the clippings. The cutting edge is extended much longer on this blade, like many other mulchers are sharpened - yet the air flow should all be away from this long cutting edge , because of the outward twist to the lift wings. How can this blade work ? Does it work ?

The Raptor blade , with it's two levels , looks like it would work as a mulcher all right, but does it work better than the Gator ? The Gators that I have, that are used on a Scag 61" Turf Tiger, have an extra long sharp area like the middle Rotary blade you are showing. My Gators work beautifully and mulch the grass very well. My question is , will the two level Raptor work any better than the Gator ? The reason I ask is that a blade with a two level twist on the edge is a lot more difficult to sharpen, and more difficult to balace well, compared to the straight cutting edge of the Gator blade. If they aren't a great improvement over the Gators cut quality, then why would I want them, if they are harder to sharpen and maintain ??