rasied patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by cutbetterthanyou, Mar 12, 2008.

1. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a quick question about raised patios. I was reading the icpi book and the way i see it is that they recommend building the retaining wall part first then your clean stone goes behind it, but they are unclear on what goes behind the clean stone (in between the clean stone an house) the book says "fill". If you use fill won't it settle when you lay the pavers on top? Do you compact the fill dirt? Or do you build all of this up with aggregate? Or dopes it depend on the type of fill you can get? It seems a little overkill if this is all aggregate but i really don't know any help would be appreciated

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Fill with aggregate and compact in 4" layers. Don't ever back fill with dirt or clay. Or you could go with this method, I've not tried it before but I hear it can be quite a time saver if access is good.

http://www.flowablefill.org/

3. cutbetterthanyou

I thought about flowable fill but how would the retaining wall stand up with nothing behind and the clean stone stay in place until you poured it? Would it have to be done every layer of the wall? Or is there a way to pour it with the wall in place

4. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

PM zedosix . He knows about FF

5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

What is the highest point of the retaining wall?

6. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Jason from McKee also has experience with the FF on more than one occasion. I'm under the impression there is no need for drain stone in the application, just filter fabric.

7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

In some instances i have used what we call 'bank run' in jersey. Its basically sand soil that compacts extremly well. If i can get 98% compaction behind a reinforced retaining wall with it, i can get 98% with it in a fill situation for a patio. However, in most cases i use 3/4 clean stone. Then a layer of geotexile and then the normal base.

8. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

it is my understanding that you do not need the clean stone behind a patio wall that had been built with flow fill. however it doesn't hurt, i have heard of one contractor that puts it in before the flow fill. he jsut pitches it up on a angle from the wall down.

9. cutbetterthanyou

Probally like 4 foot

10. cutbetterthanyou

We have "bank n run" here too i didn't use that phase because i didn't think anyone would know what i was talking about it is some pretty good stuff. I was more or less woodering if i was supose to use the b/r to build up with then the normal after that, or if i was supose to build up with 4 foot of cusher run. Do you think the b/r is ok?