Ratchet Repair

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by rwaters, Oct 8, 2010.

1. rwaters

rwaters LawnSite Senior Member
    from Online

I have a few of the really old craftsman ratchets with the fine tooth head and 15 inch handles that they wont make anymore. I took them apart and repaired them but you can not buy grease for ratchets unless you buy a 55 gallon drum of it.

I looked into alternative solutions and found a few so called experts recommend using SAE30 oil. Well I figure ff will work better for this then oil so I thought I would post here and try it to see what happens. Wish me luck, I will try to post a few pics later.

2. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD LawnSite Fanatic

i know i've sprayed ff in both ratchet heads and ratchet wrenches that were stiff and it helped tremendously:cool2:

3. rwaters

from Online

I tried that before I took them apart, I used the brush on so that it is thicker. here are the pictures. I know craftsman will replace wrenches but not this one, it is a 15 inch long fine tooth ratchet. When I started it was a junk one my father threw out after I scraped all of the grease out and replaced it with fluid film(the fluid film made the wrench shiny as well:weightlifter:) I put it back together and it worked better then a new one from Sears that I just bought.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD LawnSite Fanatic

5. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that is awesome!

6. rwaters

from Online

Well as far as letting you all know how long this lasts I have good news and bad news. Good news is after the FF work the wrench was smoother then it ever was. Bad news is my father has the wrench:cry: Oh well he loves it and gave me a box of them to repair now:laugh: When I am done though I am keeping one of the older long ratchets I like my tools to be at least 15 years old if I can get them they just feel more solid.

7. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD LawnSite Fanatic

look on the bright side! now you don't have to buy him a bday present:laugh::laugh: