1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ratchet Repair

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by rwaters, Oct 8, 2010.

1. rwaters

rwaters LawnSite Senior Member
    from Online

I have a few of the really old craftsman ratchets with the fine tooth head and 15 inch handles that they wont make anymore. I took them apart and repaired them but you can not buy grease for ratchets unless you buy a 55 gallon drum of it.

I looked into alternative solutions and found a few so called experts recommend using SAE30 oil. Well I figure ff will work better for this then oil so I thought I would post here and try it to see what happens. Wish me luck, I will try to post a few pics later.

2. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD LawnSite Fanatic

i know i've sprayed ff in both ratchet heads and ratchet wrenches that were stiff and it helped tremendously:cool2:

3. rwaters

from Online

I tried that before I took them apart, I used the brush on so that it is thicker. here are the pictures. I know craftsman will replace wrenches but not this one, it is a 15 inch long fine tooth ratchet. When I started it was a junk one my father threw out after I scraped all of the grease out and replaced it with fluid film(the fluid film made the wrench shiny as well:weightlifter:) I put it back together and it worked better then a new one from Sears that I just bought.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD LawnSite Fanatic

5. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that is awesome!

6. rwaters

from Online

Well as far as letting you all know how long this lasts I have good news and bad news. Good news is after the FF work the wrench was smoother then it ever was. Bad news is my father has the wrench:cry: Oh well he loves it and gave me a box of them to repair now:laugh: When I am done though I am keeping one of the older long ratchets I like my tools to be at least 15 years old if I can get them they just feel more solid.

7. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD LawnSite Fanatic

look on the bright side! now you don't have to buy him a bday present:laugh::laugh: