rate ? for leaf removal with a debris loader ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blades of Steel, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I am having a little trouble with the concept of charging the same price for leaf removal when I start using my new debris loader. A 1/3 of the time for the same price? Just trying to see if we still use the rule of regular hourly rate. I try to keep my hourly rate at or about $60.00.

Just looking to see if anyone drops the rate because of the decreased time it takes.

2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Only accurate way, to make sure you are recovering investment in specialty equipment, is to charge for time on each piece of equipment. A backpack blower, being used all season, would be a base labor rate. A wheel blower, for most of us being a special use machine (couple of months at most), would be a higher hourly rate. The leaf loader is relatively expensive and very specialized compared to the other two, so hourly rate for it would be much higher. And don't forget the travel time and dumping fees, if any, to dispose of leaves.

Actual dollar figure will vary depending on your local economy and your own system. After just one season with loader, I am running charges (in order introduced above) in $$ ratio of roughly 1:1.4:2. (e.g., backpack $40/hr, wb $56/hr, loader $80/hr)