Rate increases for grass complaints

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CHEVYCRAIG, Apr 15, 2006.

CHEVYCRAIG LawnSite Member

Does everybody raise there rates every year, if so whats the going percentage rates per year for grass cutting. I'm getting a lot of complaints I average about 8 percent increase this year.Ready to drop em and find new people:cry: any body eles having these problems??
  2. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a typical reaction to a price increase anywhere.... They don't care what it costs you to do business, they care what it costs them, most don't grasp the fact that $30 lawn last year cost $xx.xx this year because other things used increased in price.
    Most times all they see is... gas going up, lawn guy has rasied, stamps cost more, etc..etc...

What would your first reaction be if you went to buy a burger at the local joint and they have increased by 8%... First reaction is forget that!

If they b!tch to much find new customers.... before they drop you for the next guy. Don't work for someone your not totally happy working for... Isn't that why we run our own business anyway...

3. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Every year? Nope. Every few years...yes. But you can only go so high till you hit the ceiling.
  4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

usually the rate going up is only a cuple three bucks.... I raised my monthly rates about 5 bucks back inthe late 90's, which amounted to about increase in my monthly gross around 1500 bucks. I lost about a 1/2 dozen clients wich meant I lost about 500 bucks in monthly revenue.... so my even by losing clients, with the price increase I was making more money. and it freed up some openings for for new clients... Let em btch...
  5. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

i tack on fuel surcharge
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I raised over half of my my customers an average of $5 a cut for this season. Some went up $10 a cut. I even had 3 customers raise their own price. Two by $5 and the other by $10. Timing is everything and doing it in person helps a whole lot.

I raised prices for this season last year when gas prices were at thier peak. Gas prices were the lead topic in the newspapers, on TV and the Internet. When I spoke to my customers and explained about increasing their price they were very understanding and some even mentioned the price of gas. I did my very best to downplay the price of gas as a reason and emphasized the general cost of living which is skyrocketing here. No complaints and no problems.
  7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Most years I raise the fees 4 to 5 %. THEY get a raise where they work just to keep pace with inflation so why shouldn't the LawnLizard??

Past couple of years we've also added a fuel surcharge when called for. Not only have I never had a single complaint about the surcharge, but I've never even received a single ? about it.

Most people are fair and reasonable. But a few are penny pinching idiots. Losing a penny piching idiot and replacing them with a customer who appreciates what we do and that we have cost issues just like they do, is a good thing. Penny pinchers will eventually leave you anyway...just as soon as Joes Mow&Go starts his business at low ball rates.
  8. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Increase of 5% each year.

My customers have learned to expect it.

I have never lost a customer, that I am aware of, over the small increase.
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

omg, i find this impossible. tell ya why: year 1 on a $30 mow= $1.50 increase, for a total of $31.50. year 2= $1.57 increase for a total of $33.07. year 3= $1.65 increase for a total of $34.72. year 4= increase of $1.73 for a total of $36.45. year 5= increase of $1.82 for a total of $38.27. after only 5 years, you have made your prices non competitive. if the starting point was $30, and you were at the same price as the other "pros" in your area, you know damn well they aint raising thier rates. so, after 5 yrs, your increases have made you non competitive
  10. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Impossible. I don't buy it.