Rate my pricing guideline for 2005

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KathysLGC, Mar 23, 2005.

1. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I just finished throwing these numbers together. Let me know if something is too high or low. This is for lower CT (Illegal scrub heaven) and the competition is tight.

If anyone wants to use this go right ahead.

($35. min) Includes trimming, blowing clippings off beds/driveways.
    $35. - 5000 sq ft
    $45. - 10000 sq ft
    $55. - 22000 sq ft (or ½ acre)
    $65. - per acre

Lawn prep (raking,weeding,tilling) $80. - 1000sq ft
    $100. - 1000 sq ft 5lbs per 1000 sq ft

Sod installed (labor only) $0.50 - sq ft
    Sod installed with prep (soil, grading, fert, lime, sod) $1.35 - sq ft

($50. min)
    $12.50 - 1000 sq ft

First time edge $0.50 – linear ft

$30. – 1000 sq ft includes removal.

($50. – min)
    $50 per yard delivered and installed.

$5. – shrub up to 4ft
    $ 8. – shrub up to 10ft
    Hedges $40 per hour plus disposal fee.

Hand weeding in shrub bed $7. per 100 sq ft

Gutter cleaning:
    ($50. min)
    $.50 per lineal ft
  2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not in your area so I will not comment on price. But I will comment on your pricing guideline. Some services can effectively be charged by area, but very few. I charge about the same for aeration, but if there are small gates (I use a tow behind) or lots of hills etc. then the price goes up. Mowing is really hard to price by area because a 5k lawn with lots of landscape to trim around can take longer then a 10k lawn with no obstacles and very little trimming.

Some guys like Justmowit charge by area, but they also pay piece work. The employee absorbs the cost of time in those situations.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry, but how the heck could someone comment on this? I mean they could...but how would anyone be able to justify this is too high, too low, or just what I would charge...not knowing any of your or you not knowing our overheads?
  4. KathysLGC

The mowing and things of that nature will be adjusted if there are a lot of trees, beds etc.

LB, this is a guideline to start with. I'm looking to see if others in the area are close to these prices. This is not a bid sheet but something I'd like to start with. I'm open to suggestions as to how to come up with pricing. I need a base to start with so i made this up.
    Heres an example, Sod install I put .50 per ft. I haven't done sod in a while and forgot how labor intense it is so .50 might be too little....
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

We service some of the same area. I don't think you'll get your prices unless you're targeting strictly $1-2M houses. I Shoot for 60% aquistion on mowing clients and so-on. you're a bit high with the numbers that i've tried to get. With your 1/8-1/2 acre pricing i don't think you'll come close to 20% aq. We live in the real world, not bobbygedd's fake-believe-land.

Edit, your mulch prices are a touch low, depending on job i get $60-90/yd with access and type of mulch.

Good luck, i'm sure i'll see you around.
  6. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I can't really comment on the price amounts as I am sitting in 75 degree weather right now, and that is the inside temp with the A/C blowing and you are prob still worried about frost. lol

Although everthing always needs a little adjustment here or there I think you approach is a good one. You can always adjust your prices as you go along. No one said you have to keep the same prices year after year or even day after day.

I would include the price of edging in your mulching price because you will run into people who will say they don't want you to edge. If it is included they don't have a choice, and it is one less service you have to sell them.

Just some thoughts.
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I would ask how you 'made this up'. According to your profile you have been in business for a few years. Look at the previous years figures to get an idea of the costs per job or those you over/underbid. Specifically look at the expenses that were incurred for those particular jobs and make sure you are, at a minimum going to cover those expenses. Now factor in what your desired profit is...and you will have a base price.

And, as the above poster has stated your base price should be just that; A base price. Two lawns might be identically the same in acreage...but that doesn't tell you the slope on one is so severe you need to use the WB instead of the Z so your time is increased, you need to use a specialized piece of equipment, etc.
  8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I don't offer some of your services, but the 5 & 10K is just a bit high for my area. The others sizes are close, maybe just a tad high on the 1/2 acre. 5k usually falls under a minimum of $25-$30 and the 10K is about $35 in my area. 1/2 acre would be $45-$50, but there are guys that will go a lot lower on some of these properties. I just ignore their pricing and move on.

Aeration is pretty dead on to what I charge. The only seeding I do is when Aerating and I normally charge about 3 times the cost of seed. Usually 5lbs per K would just double the aeration price.

Hedge trimming is $60/hr, but in most cases I shoot by the hip and get 2-3 times that per hour. If you tell a customer that it is $60/hr for trimming they flinch. Tell them it is $120 and they jump on it, even if it only takes 1 hour to do. Just remember that mowing is generally the less profitable service, and hedge trimming etc. should bring in a lot more income with a lot less cost to you. You should be able to trim a lot of bushes per hour. Customers don't realize this and just look at a bunch of bushes and think "yea $120 sounds good". I generally have a $60 minimum for trimming, but if it is a ridiculously small amount, like 10-15 min job then I might knock it down to $40.

Mulch seems a little low.

We are not in the same area, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
  9. KathysLGC

hey whats up bro? I kinda had a feeling the mowing prices where a bit high. This is why i posted this here before I go give estimates. Wilton does have 1-2M houses but I'm targeting smaller houses if I can help it. If I go bid a house that I think is too big for a solo op i will bid high to make it worth my time. I will go up on the mulch too. I need to find out the differences in price of mulch to be more accurate also.
  10. KathysLGC

Lucky you.... we're getting snow as i type :cry: :dizzy: