Rate per hour

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dewos, Apr 2, 2008.

1. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

What is everyone charging now that minimum wages skyrocketed, per hour and what are you paying your employees.. im sitting around 50 an hour and paying 10-12 for employees.
  2. McCarty'sLawncare

McCarty'sLawncare LawnSite Member

After I pay my employees I just calculate and make sure I'm making atleast 60 bucks an hour...
  3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

You really think $7.15 is skyrocketed? It is $6.15 here in my state. I honestly feel minimum wage should be closer to $10. I guess maybe $7.15 might seem high to somebody that lives in a state thats very cheap to live in. Pa costs next to nothing to live in. Housing is almost twice as much here in MD than it is in PA.
  4. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

So you raise the min. wage - now what? Everyone acts like this will make everything better (and it would if one lived in a static environment) - but we don't. Everyone raises their prices and the poor little min wage dude isn't any better than he was before. People need to learn that if they want to make more money they need to invest in education and/or training. If America doesn't get its rear in gear in regard to education, we will be lapped by countries whose focus is just that.
  5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I made $8/hour in the south as an unskilled teenage laborer in 1980. Doing cleanup work, not not even as trained/skilled as a lawn tech. You guys need to learn about inflation. That would be about $16/hour today. You're lucky they quit enforcing immigration laws and the price of labor is as low as it is. This industry made its low wage bed, driving the public to expect services on the cheap, and now it's got to lie in it.

TC MOWING LawnSite Member

I charge according to the area I'm in. Approx. $40 per hour in rural areas. Now as far as wages, I have no employees, but I would probably be around $10 an hour. Minimum wage jobs are supposed to be starter jobs for someone with no skills. As you gain skills your wage should go up.I don't mean to irritate anyone but I would vote to lower the minimum wage back to $3.15 an hour.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

im all for lowering to. in ohio they raised it from 5.15 to 6.85 overnight last year and now it is 7 something it is hurting everyone. i was talking to a restaraunt owner the other day and he has had to cut down on employees in order to keep the prices resonable, he raised them a little but not enough to recoop the costs. the service in all the rest. around here has gone down because they are having to run with fewer and fewer people just tokstay competative.
  8. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

All my employees make bare minimum $8.50 per hour, my right hand guy makes $14.00. I charge $45.00 per hour labor rate.
  9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I bid by the acre with a minimum of $45 for small places. I also bid and charge in the same area as the others in my area. Then I have spent the last 8 years figuring out how to mow more acres per hr. with less equipment than the other guys (Less equipment, Fewer employees, Lower insurance). As of now, my mowers trim all the curbs as I mow, and I can squeeze a 10 foot mower between 2' apart objects. As a result I make a lot per hr. I like to think of it as Lawyers wages.
  10. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to maintain at $60 dollar per hour. Sometimes its higher & sometimes a little lower. My top guy makes 11 per hour.