1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rate your Exmark AS Series

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Jul 22, 2008.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The AS series seems to be the hottest seller for Exmark right now. Which is odd because it is basically the old Lazer Z before they improved it. But they have made so many improvements on the AS series that the regular Z's no longer seem as attractive especially considering the price. So let's here your views on the AS series after using them for a while. I had one but at the time the engine selection was very bad (23 hp 60" weak). That was my only complaint. Now you can get up to 28 hp so that's a non-issue?

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm curios to find out too.
  3. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

My 52" Ultra-Cut AS with the 28 horse Kawasaki has been a pure delight to own. More than enough power, exceptional cut, and with the added mulching kit I make powder out of leaves.

There may be a better brand out there, but I truly think I make a great decision to buy Exmark.
  4. duke & sons

duke & sons LawnSite Member

I mulch with my 52", 28 Kaw. all spring and summer. It leaves a beautiful smooth cut. It even leaves some nice stripes on St. Augustine and Centipede. The 28hp is awesome on the 52". It powers through thick grass mulching with ease. I purchased mine in January 2008 for $7350.

I mulch with low-lift discharge blades. They leave a cleaner looking cut, than the mulch blades.
  5. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

340 hours and no problems to date. i wish i would have gotten the 60" only because the trim side is not as large. also, from what i have read about the triton deck, im glad i got the ultracut.
  6. bscill

bscill LawnSite Member
    from KY

I have the 60" with the ultra cut deck with the 28hp and love it. The only thing that I would change would be, is that when on a hill or small incline and you go forward kinda quick the front end raises. Other than that small thing I would change nothing.
  7. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Loved it. Left a nice cut, went pretty fast, handled nicely. Didn't own one but used to work for a company that did.
  8. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine has been good to me- 2007 60" ultracut with 28 hp Kaw. 500 hrs, I need to adjust the hydros alittle as it pulls to the left when at full speed- I need to check the deck pitch as well it is leaving stingers when cutting over 3 3/4''.

I put a suspension under the stock seat - makes it much better.

I would still like to try a Bad Boy though.
  9. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

yep.... that and the unit is lower than my triton units. i just bought my AS last week and the day i loaded it on my trailer i almost flipped it backwards cuz my trailer is so high and my gate is so short. now i have to make a longer gate to safely drive it on. i put some XS gelled tires and forks on the front end and got rid of the small forks and air tires and that added a little bit of weight to it to keep the front end down. it tends to not rare up as much but i'll also install a weight kit soon. i also had to drop the front of the deck cuz of the slightly taller front tires.
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Got 2 of them, the 52" and a 60 both with Kohler engines, the 60 could use a few more horses, but very seldom do I bog it....

Looking to add another Exmark, I dont think I will consider anything BUT the AS...