Rates for 2006 season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BDI, Feb 26, 2006.

1. BDI

BDI LawnSite Member
    from S.E Pa

Was wondering on rates for grass cutting for this season. I'm thinking 65 to 70 per hour per first man and 55 for each additional. Im in s.e pa and am thinking if this is even enough. Let me know your thoughts.

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

That will of course depend on your expenses and equipment and resi vs commercial and tons of other things.

Just a question, why make it that complicated. first hour each hour there after. Unless you are breaking the cardinal rule of actually telling that to clients.

Pick a number and use that as your basis, then be done with it.

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

For my area in S.E. Pa, $50-70 per hour for mowing is what many other LCO's charge. You should be in the ballpark! What city in Pa are you located in?

4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I charge by the acre, or size of lawn, then find equipment that does it efficiently enough to produce $80 per hr. per machine. The customer is going to only pay so much for the size property he has. You can't walk into a factory that has 10 acres, and say "I'll mow your property with a 21" push mower, and it will be $70 per hr.!!" If you are going to charge $70 per hr., you better darn well have a very very very productive big machine.

5. BDI

BDI LawnSite Member
    from S.E Pa

We are in Chadds Ford. The 70 per hour rate would be for a 66" lazer z. and the 55-60 rate would be for a walkbehind/trimmer/blower. That means if it took two guys a half hour to cut the property it would be around 65 per half hour. I figure we can mow an acre in about a half hour. I thinking of a new approach this year and billing by the minute for the lawn crew, gate down to gate up. Any thoughts?

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

DAMN I hope you get work at those prices...Cuz around here a half hour lawn is $30

7. BDI

BDI LawnSite Member
    from S.E Pa

Why even get out of bed for 30 bucks?

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The prices in our area are much like yours.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I heard that!

Minimum charge $35 eliminates a lot of postage stamp and mickey mouse stuff, I found I can't make no real money with that 25-30 dollar stuff, half the time I can't even engage the speed clutch fully before I'm done... I keep getting that feeling of taking a Formula 1 to the Go-kart track: It's not that I can't win the race, it's that I can't get the car out of 2nd gear before I'm around the track, so it's a waste. The same holds true for lawn equipment, it takes 5-10 minutes to load / unload and switch between pieces, so if it only takes 5 minutes to cut the grass, then another 5 to trim and 3 to blow stuff down, I feel like I'm spending more time walking to-from the truck than doing actual work.

Find out what your machine is designed to do... I used to accomodate all types of lawns until I found out my machine was designed for 1/4 acre -to- 1 acre lots, and so now that is what I stick to. Want me to cut that 1/8 acre lot, that's fine but it won't be worth your money because I only do 1/4 acre to 1 acre lots.

10. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

It is so funny how people hammer others for what they consider to cheap. You can only charge what your market is willing to pay. Of course everyone would love to make $80 an hour, but just isnt the real world. A lot depends on cost of living in certain areas and the economy in those same areas.