Rates in Indianapolis, IN

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Feb 27, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, ya'll! I'm starting a lawncare business and was wondering what the avg rates are here in Naptown Indiana for lawn mowing? Can anyone give me some estimates on the size areas? I'm going to put my guess and let me know how close I come or if I'm too low or high per cut:

Acres

.10 $20
    .12 $23
    .14 $25
    .16 $30
    .18 $33
    .20 $35
    .22 $38
    .24 $40

again, if I'm off then please let me know. I think I may be pricing kinda low so let me know if I need to increase these rates 20% up or whatever. I don't want to low-ball, but I want to have competitive prices as well.

Another thing; is it completely necessary to do trim-work or are many customers satisfied with the close cut of a push mover?

2. green-pa

Isn't anyone from Indy? Well, how about these size lots in your area, where ever it may be; Chicago, St.Loius, Cleveland, whatever!!!??? Can anyone give me some kinda idea for pricing to cut these size yards:;)

Acres

Thanks in advance

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you have to figure out your cost of doing business, and what you need to make a profit.... what one person charges may not be right for you, with experience level, equipment, and overhead

there is no way to learn this except trial and error, if your just starting out, what ever you think something is worth.....double it....because everyone new is usually too cheap...:)

4. green-pa

Well, thanks for responding. I understand that we all have our own amount we'd like to make. I'm just wondering what others are charging so I can get some kind of idea, rather than calling up some companies and wasting their time. If no-one wants to help me then I understand, but I thought that is what this site is for. I'd like to at least clear $30/hour after expenses. And u say to DOUBLE my prices?!
    What if I've got a standard price medium for my area and then I double it? Won't get much biz like that will I? I know approx what my expenses are.
    So if anyone would like to give me an idea of what they charge for these size yards, then please respond. If u have jokes, sarcastice replies, or want to play around, then please do so on another persons thread! I've searched through hundreds of threads to find a pricing scheme and have found no straight forward ideas. Most guys on here just criticize the new person and seem to try and disuad him b4 he even gets started! Most new guys will charge low because they don't know what all is involved and what is the going rates. U can either help them/us out or make a joke out of it. But when u joke around, u are just making it more confusing for the new guy as well as wasting your own time. Had to speak my piece.

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

how do you think people learn to bid a job, by asking people on lawnsite,...... NO, they go out, make some bids, loose there butt, and learn from there mistakes.......

if you want 30per hour after expenses then that is what you charge... your expenses per hour, plus 30...

im sure someone from the area will pop in and give you an idea or two.... but remember, many people dont charge what they say they do here.....especailly if they are in you neighborhood, and you are there competition..but most will give you a base price......just wait a bit...

Good Luck...

6. green-pa

Heh, thanks man. I appreciate the honesty!

7. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi , We have a 30.00 min. We are in central IL. I tried going off square footage when started out But if you have alot of landscaping and trees theres alot more trimming, we vertical edge all concrete areas also , that ups the price also. I have one property that is 4000sq ft. that we charge 48.00 per visit. We also have a property down the stree that is 4000 also and we charge 30.00 and has twice as much area to mow. We only use our push mower for steep ditches and hillsides. We trim every property we service.

8. green-pa

Thanks man, but does anyone else have ideas?

9. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Most people in my neck of the woods charge 40-50 per man hour. Around Indy it could be higher. Your breaking down you lot sizes to small/close together. Are you really going to measure to that fine of an area? I eyeball my properties, taking careful consideration of the "weedeating" since that takes considerable time and is harder on your body. Based on the time it will take me then I figure the cost.

10. green-pa

That makes good sense. I guess I was being a bit too precise. However this is the area I'm going to be doing. I figure somewhere between $25-40 for those areas.