Rates - in Texas...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A1 Grass, Sep 27, 2002.

1. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of rates in my area for:

standard mow/trim/blower service

(Rates for raking by hand vs. yard-vac?)

(specifics: San Antonio and Austin area - mostly small to med. residential - using a 32" mower - did I forget anything?)

LAWnENFORCER LawnSite Member

I am suprised that no one has told you what I am about to. Your rates should be based on what you WANT and NEED. You must figure what it cost you to run your buisness and what your market will allow.

I live in a small town 60 mi NW of Austin and have more work than ever. In Austin and San Antonio the sky is the limit, but you will only be able to achieve this if you run your buisness with efficency and productivity.

Also there is the search button in the upper right hand corner that should give you plenty of reading on this subject.

3. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

LAWnENFORCER is correct it depends on your needs and the direction you want for your business. Our range from 27.00 to 145.00 you must take into consideration gas, tavel time, size of yard, attutude of customer, insurance, rate of service.... etc.
  4. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

5. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

If $18 was all I could get I would not even consider doing this. Thank God that in the two years I have been doing this that NEVER have I done a lawn for $18. Maybe sweep your driveway...

In reply to above. Yes, I am aware of the "search" button. That answer works with any question, doesn't it?

I was hoping for specifics from some locals - also for other possible topics - thanks though.
  6. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Yeah, I get bugged by his FAQ's. "Why is it so cheap?" "Why not? It's just cutting grass." That irks me. I personally would do half of the work for twice the price.
  7. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

Whatever you need to operate with.

In Austin my minimun is $25 but that rarely happens, more like $30-$35 for you average res yard. BIggest factors are the amount of trimming, which can take longer than the mowing, and is the back gate accessable (push mowing sucks).

Raking? Whats that for? lol! I just mulch the heck out of it or if that doesn't do I'll blow it to the street.
  8. Nomoslowmow

Nomoslowmow LawnSite Member

I am a little north of you near dallas, but for what it's worth, the rates for a "standard" residential lawn seem to be creeping down with the influx of new/nonproffesional/fly by night operators. This has gotten worse because of all the layoffs in our area, bringing desperate people into our busuness looking for easy money.

Three years ago we quoted $25+ 99% of the time. Now, $22 seems to be more common. This is bad busuness when you look at how our costs are going up.

That $18 per lawn guy is not as bad as the guys I bid against who offer $11...they don't even have a blower so they use the mowers to "clean" the pavement. We pick up a bunch of their customers every year, but they muddy the waters of how much lawn service is worth.

Good Luck!

9. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

$11 indeed!!

Life must be tough in DFW. I think that some people honestly dont care if the lawn looks better or not as long as its shorter.

If I ever ran into anyone like that I would probably lose my cool. Well... At least let them know what I think. probably better that way.
  10. I don't think that the rates matter as much as the profits do.