Ratting out a competitor...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bcg, Jun 30, 2006.

1. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I decided to take matters into my own hands yesterday. I run a somewhat unique operation in my area for which I really don't have much competition in the niche I target. There are a couple of companies that I would consider direct competition but that's really it. One I know a lot about but the other has really just showed up this year. We've been getting a lot of advertising from him this year so I had someone call and find out about him. In the conversation we discovered that they aren't collecting sales tax, are applying chemical without a license and they're using illegal labor. So today I've reported them to the state tax collector, the state department of agriculture and we're filling out the form to report them to the IRS. Maybe it's mean but I figure if I've got to play by the rules, they should as well. We'll see what happens!
  2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

How much service could you provide or sell while youre busy playing six-year-old to uncle sam?
  3. bcg

from Tx

Don't worry, my crews are still out working while I sit in the office and play 6 year old. Oh, and the phones are still ringing... :)
  4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Good job...... why not let all the law breakers just keep on breaking......

Keep it up....
  5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I certainly wasn't worried. I agree that all should abide by the laws and rules, but good lord, seems like a lot of time and effort to phuck someone else.
  6. bcg

from Tx

Not really, 1 letter, 1 email and and IRS form is all. Took all of about an hour total, including figuring out who to call. I think it was time well spent.

Frankly, if he was just breaking one rule or was a solo just trying to make ends meet I wouldn't worry myself with it but he's not. When it's a bigger company and they're stupid enough to admit this stuff on the phone, they really deserve to be reported.
  7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I guess we're all to believe that the investigative reporter who made this call was talking to a complete moron on the other end of the phone?

You're just plain guessing here and calling it truth for your own purposes.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've thought about doing this to the point I collected Co. names and phone numbers, but I never turned anything in...
    Just knowing I had the power to do it was enough for me...

Because I kept thinking what kind of example does this set, and what if I do something wrong one day?
    Better yet, what if one of them finds out whodunit?

No, it's not ok that they break the law, but nobody is perfect, not even me LOL.

That's just me, it's all good, you might be thinning out the herd and I'm not totally against it either.
  9. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

I think on one day of the year everybody should do what this guy has done if they are concerns about LCO,S in your area. :usflag:

The govt can check them out and if they are legit no problems. :)

People complain about about illegal operations all the time but what can you do about it...see above.....if you dont you are part of the problem and are making it easier for them......:rolleyes:

So dont blame others when you lose your business,:cry: putting them in to the govt is legal what they are doing is illegal.

If every body does it, it will be a heatlher and stronger industry. :usflag:

Whats an hour of your time??? :usflag:
  10. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

snitches are the lowest form of scum on the earth... if your phone keeps ringing and you have a certain "niche" what good did you accomplish..

he going to become legit and pay everything and still be in business is what u gotta understand.. if its a real business that is feeding his family he isnt going to just stop and work at walmart and you will get more business. If anything once he is legal he will be taking more customers away from you

sounds like your business isnt doing to well because around here and im sure everywhere else the real money making LCOs dont care about any illegals and dont even acknowledge they exist