1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rattle in the engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawn6@bigpond, Aug 19, 2005.

1. lawn6@bigpond

lawn6@bigpond LawnSite Member

O.K we have now got the brigg 55 edge intek engine back on the mower . Set the valves as recommend .005 .

The engine has new rings . Head gasket , top end bush & seal , the problem now is we fired it up today it stated .O.K mowed the lawn stop it re started it when it got a real tapping noise in it . Rechecked the valves settings which where right. check the camshaft all lined up like it shoud be .

I think it may be the oil slingger / govenor arm catching we was able to reduce engine over reving the other day by adjusting the governor arm. but this is happening .
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If the valves are right the only thing left to do is tear it back down and re-check everything !
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe something on the mower deck itself is loose causing the noise. If not, then ditto what restrorob said.
  4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Do you know where ALL your tools are? No joke, I had a man a few years back bring me an engine he had "rebuilt" and it made a loud noise when it was started up. I removed the sump plate and found a 1/4" drive 10MM socket inside the engine. It had fallen off his ratchet when he tighten the rod bolts I guess and he did not know it happend. To this day evey time I see him I ask him if he knows where all his tools are.