Rattling brake caliper

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mike lane lawn care, Sep 20, 2007.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, so recently i noticed a scraping sound coming from a wheel. i jacked the truck up and removed the right rear tire, the brake caliper(the half with the pads attached) had lost both the pins that hold it onto the other half of the caliper, and was bouncing around. i took the other vehicle up to the auto parts store and got the new pins. the problem now is, that while the caliper is secure to the truck, it rattles, it has a little bit of play to wiggle side to side, where as the left rear caliper does not.

any ideas? and yes the bolts on the end of the pins are tight.

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone?
    upon closer inspection, it seems that the caliper is rattling on the brake pad. is there something that is supposed to go in between the caliper and the pad?
    thanks

3. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe it was loose, and then while it worked those bolts/pins out, and you used the brakes the whole time not knowing what was happening, the holes got "wallered out" as we say down here. You may have to get a new caliper.

If it is just the pad wiggling around in the caliper, there may be some little backing thing or some goo you can put in there; I'd ask the greasiest guy in the auto parts store, or maybe go by a dealership and ask a mechanic.

Just some guesses.

4. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I was right!:clapping: