Rattling when disengage the blades.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BruinLawn, Oct 21, 2013.

1. BruinLawn

BruinLawn LawnSite Member

I have a brand new (20 hours) bobcat 36" walkbehind. Great machine but lately I've noticed it makes a rattling sound right after I disengage the blades. Like when the blades are slowing down. And after the blades stop the rattle sound stops. The spindles seem okay and the blades seem tight. What else should I look for/check out? Thanks for the help?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Well, lets start with the Model Number so we might have a clue which mower you have... 933????

3. BruinLawn

Posted via Mobile Device

4. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Are you sure it's coming from under the deck or is it possibly the clutch?

5. BruinLawn

I'm not positive its coming from under the deck. What is a good way to check the clutch?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Can you get your ear safely close to it, you should be able to hear it? If it's the clutch probably nothing wrong with it, you just broke it in some.

Any grease fittings missed? Dealers don't always have them up to par all the time when they send them out the door.

7. BruinLawn

Ill check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Jeff in AL

from Alabama

BruinLawn,

Check the following:

With engine shut off, have someone tip/tilt the unit back and check the baffles to make sure one has not been bent slightly and one of the blades are hitting it.

Also, on the spring loaded idler on the deck, make sure the bolt holding the pulley to the bracket is not extending through the bracket too far and hitting the top of the deck.

Short of that, there can be a slight noise from the anti-rotation bracket/clutch when the blades, belt and clutch are slowing down, but isn't really a "rattle" sound though?

9. BruinLawn

What kind of sound is that?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Jeff in AL

from Alabama

Umm, more of a click click...

With the engine off either reach under the machine and rock the electric clutch back and forth slightly, or you can rock a blade back and forth slightly and get the same result... The clutch has to "float" slightly, so the "noise" you hear when doing the above is the clutch hitting the anti-rotation stop.
    When the bladed are disengaged, the clutch can rock back and forth on the stop. When the blades are engaged, the clutch is held against one side of the stop for the most part.