Razor sharp or Angled Edge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBrother, May 18, 2008.

?

What type of blade edge do you prefer?

1. Razor Sharp

26 vote(s)
    78.8%
  2. Flat Face

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  3. LCO Trade Secret Ninja Edge of Mystery

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Whatever the Guy at the Hardware Store Puts On It

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Here's something everyone can weigh in on. How do you sharpen your blades? Do you like them razor sharp, or with a flat face?
    Personally I like the flat face. I think it gives a great cut and stays sharper longer. Which do you prefer and why?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Too many blades to worry about this.

30 blades in 15 minutes.
    5-10 more to re-true and coat them, restock.
    They're sharp, took some practice lol.

3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

What do you mean by "flat face"? Are you sharpening the blade and then putting a flat edge across the front? By that making it "not sharp"?

If that is the case I dont see how it can stay sharper longer since it is not "sharp" in the first place.

I say razor sharp, but not a lot of angle, and change them often!

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I sharpen them like they come from the factory with a dedicated blade grinder. They turn out pretty darn sharp with the correct angle.

5. Like saw man, I'm unsure what you mean.

I sharpen mine down to the bottom edge of the blade where it leaves a tiny little burr. That lets me know it's all the way sharpened.

On the same subject, I have noticed all of the aftermarket blades I get have been ground to the 32* angle.
    That doesn't hold up for crap. I regrind them to the Toro specification of 40* the first time I sharpen them.

6. LawnBrother

from SW Ohio

I try to replicate the factory bevel from Toro. After the nicks are out and I am satisfied with the balance I run a grinder at 90 deg. right across the blade "ruining" that razor sharp edge so many people strive for. The result is what I have heard called a "maintenance edge" or flat face. The difference is that it creates 2 cutting edges instead of one, one on the bottom @ 90 deg angle and one on the top at about 130 or so. Yes it gives a great cut and lasts longer because the edge is much tougher and resistant to nicks than when they are sharpened razor sharp.

7. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I like to take my blades after I sharpen them and file thousands of little serrations into them. I call it the Ginzu blade. Takes about four hours per blade. I then heat treat them at 1800 deg. for 6 hrs. before annealing them at 600 deg. for 10 hrs. After that they will stay sharp forever. I can even take a tomato from a customers garden and slice it for lunch if I want to. Amazing.

8. LawnBrother

from SW Ohio

I knew someone had an LCO trade secret ninja mystery edge!!