RB 5000 Left Stop Adjustment

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by chainsaw4130, Apr 23, 2008.

1. chainsaw4130

chainsaw4130 LawnSite Member
    from MA

Hello - I need some help adjusting the left stop on a Rain Bird 5000 head. I know how to adjust the arc(sweep), but on this particular head I need to adjust the left stop. From reading the manual I understand you have to rotate the head, but what I don't understand is how to rotate the head. Do I have to dig up the head or can I just grab the top of the head and turn it? Do I grab the part of head that pops-up or do I grab the portion that stays in the ground when the head pops up? Any help would be great. Charlie

2. HokieAg07

HokieAg07 LawnSite Senior Member

You can either turn the whole body while its in the ground if you have enough to grab on to with your hands or a pair of channel locks or you can take the internals out of the body and place the left stop where you want it and place the internals back in and tighten it up.

3. chainsaw4130

chainsaw4130 LawnSite Member
    from MA

HokieAg07 thanks for the response. Turning it while it's in the ground won't break anything? Like the funny pipe? How do you get the internals out?

4. HokieAg07

HokieAg07 LawnSite Senior Member

As long as you have enough thread engagement on the funny pipe fitting then you can turn either way you need usually to get it where you want. Feel free to turn while its running, it wont harm anything. If you want to do it the other way you will need to hold the "can or body" of the head and then unscrew the top cap, this will let you pull out the internals. Make sure you get it so its turned all the way to the left and put it back into the can where you need it to be.

5. TennTexan

TennTexan LawnSite Member

The previous replier was right, unless the head is REALLY "cranked down" on the flex fitting, you should be able to turn it enough to get the left stop where you want it. But notice when it pops up, only about the top half of the stem is rotating. Don't put the channellocks on that part, turn the stationary part below it. Hope that also helps.

Jeff

6. Lawnrain

Lawnrain LawnSite Member

You don't need to turn the whole head in the ground. The 5000 rotor is designed with a slip type bushing in it. This bushing allows you to set the left hand adjustment by turn the top portion of the head when it is up (about an inch from the top). When adjusting the you can turn the head along the desired arc fairly easy.... When you want to add more to the arc or take way just turn the top of the head past the right or left stop points. It will turn stiff, but shouldn't click or anything like that.

7. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought just the 3500 did that..........

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't always work. Believe me. I've broken a few 5000s because of it.

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Hank just put in 3 zones of 5000 stainless w/mpr nozzles for me,
    Fired 'um this morning....not to my specs concerning how matched
    nozzles should perform...he's head-to-head...got the on-demand pump:
    I'm thinking those nozzles bite.

10. Lawnrain

Lawnrain LawnSite Member

I've had more problems with the 3500's than the 5000's. I visited the factory a couple of years ago, and asked the same question at the time. I was told that the gasket, or bushing will stop working soon after water is run through it....Meaning it allows you to adjust them soon after installing them, but making it real hard to adjust later on....