RB 5004 PRS with LA

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Duekster, May 25, 2012.

1. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Alright, have a 3 year old system on a 3/4 AV lot. Most of the 20 stations are Rotors, I would say 5 are sprays. We ran the stations pretty quick and just flagged the gross tilts, and the broken heads / leaks.

There has been a mixture of repairs from irrigators and home owner. Some RB, some Obits and such.
    Many of the rotors are on tees with short nipples so the mowers snap the lats. We use a poly connection and offset to solve the breaks.

Poor people have bar ditches on 2 sides of the property with rotors 6" Inches off the road. They even have a Civil Defense Siren in the corner and the guy parks there were lines are located. Mrs Home Owners is a little pissy about watering a bar ditch where the delivery and service guys park.

I did pick up some RB 5004 PRS and installed the LA Nozzle on a hunch ( thank you) and a tip from others here. It was on the corner of the drive. When first set up it swung out on the drive so you could see how it laid down the water too.

Clearly she saw it, we saw it. Pretty nice coverage and less impacted by the high winds. 20 to 30 MPH today.

Between the swing pipe we made and the performance of the RB 5004 she wants to replace any item broken with the RB. This includes any alignments of existing heads, she gets it because if we are going to dig and reset a head, just upgrade it to save on labor. Then systematically replace the others.

Then we do the audit to calculate run times. I know those are good products but RB has killed me in the past.

I think also found someone to buy my Maxicom Parts today as well.

Also sold a $2800 retrofit for a track home install today on top of this gig. Those are going to be the Hunter MP and MP 40 heads.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Some guys have all the fun. :rolleyes:

3. Duekster

from DFW, TX

It is a living. :confused:

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

A low angle rotor nozzle will do better than a standard angle rotor nozzle in the wind any day of the week. Just an FYI, the 5000 ain't the only rotor on the market with low angle nozzles.

5. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I will still be intereted in seeing how good the DU is once we get these all tweaked

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Compared to what .... standard angle on the same site? Your DU is only as good as the design and install, despite the characteristics of the nozzle. You may see better DU with the nozzle, but how good it "could" be is a different matter. As well you know (I hope), audits should be done in zero wind conditions, or as close as you can get to zero wind. Set some catches across the entire range of the rotor, including close in.

7. Customers really like that LA throw from my experience. Watching your water fly away in heavy wind for a customer is pretty frustrating. Also is very different than what they usually have installed so chances are good they will want to upgrade them all. I usually talked them into upgrading one zone and showing them the difference in gpm with the prs plus the greater percentage that is staying in the yard. 5000prs is a great head. Add the LA nozzle and it becomes even better.

8. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Yeap on the Audits, Yeap on how much better the performance looks even to the customer.

Still think the MP Rotators whill provide the ultimate design options, and DU. This is particularly true in transistion areas between zones and irregular shapes.

Look at the LA Nozzle Tree. These PR's are based on 50% Radius so the 90 degree is twice and the 360 is half the stated rates. Wonderful. I am still leaning toward MP's as being a better overall choice in my book.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I think you mean 50% diameter, and you don't half or double PR rates, you half or double the nozzles flow rate (gpm).

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Am I the only guy who uses the 5000/5500 6" stainless with MPR nozzles? :waving: