RB Easy Rain has been discontinued

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Stuttering Stan, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I was surfing the RB site and my jaw dropped when I saw this:

http://store.rainbird.com/shopexd.asp?id=1202

Easy Rain timer is being discontinued. I call this my Friday friend. If I get a late call that involves wire hunting, I would throw this on the valve and come back the next week. Also very useful in temporary solutions when wire hasn't been stretched to a valve. Going to miss this one, it's been a great tool.

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Never used it. But you can get the Hunter version and the DV latching solenoid that adapts to the DV valve.

3. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

God I hate those POS's. I do have a dozen or so installed out in the field where we have no electrical, so I have learned to live with them...but I sure hate em.

4. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

I bet there are still plenty in the pipeline. I was thinking about tossing the 1/2 dozen or so I have laying around, guess I'll hang onto them now.

They are great for the reasons you give, but what a PITA if you have more than one to set!

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

They are damn handy for establishment or to get the system running before all the wiring is done. Oddly enough, we've had good luck with the Nelson version. Takes a adapter for W*M valves. Expect them to last a season.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I have one place that has five entrances to a certain neighborhood. No electricity at any of them. Approximately 20-25 of the Hunter SVCs. Pretty crappy system all around. Water is supplied from the golf course. And the zones are all stretched.

7. HokieAg07

HokieAg07 LawnSite Senior Member

I use Hunter SVCs all the time in all flavors too, 1,2, and 4 station models. They are a pain to program when you have a 4 station but when you cant get wire to a valve theres no better way to get stuff working

8. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

we stock one hunter svc.

We service a lot of clients with them in..
    Though if I was working and a client wanted to extend a zone I wouldn't ever consider using it.

I think it's a lazy and cheap way of extending something.
    I realize there are some circumstances. But if you have to get the main line over there to install the valve. Then you can sure get wire over there.

9. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Yea they sucked anyway. The hunter ones are easier to set.