RB ESP-M controller

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by F6Hawk, Jul 26, 2005.

1. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

Is it possible to make two zones run at the same time, short of connecting the solenoids together? I read the book about 3 times, and can find no evidence of it, just curious if some smart fellow out there has figured it out.

Oh, and I seem to remember someone asking about delays between valves awhile back.... the ESP-M does this, you can delay from 0 seconds up to several hours between one valve closing and the next opening.

1) Turn the dial to off.
    2) Press & hold the OFF key for 3 seconds until the LCD shows DELAY.
    3) Current delay between stations is shown. Default is 0 (zero).
    4) use the arrow up or down keys to change the delay (up to nine hours).
    5) Turn the dial back to auto.

I don't remember if the person asking was inquiring about the ESP-M, but just in case...

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Nearly all solid-state controllers are one-zone-at-a-time, and only have a limited amount of power to feed to the valves. One zone valve and one master valve is the limit for some.

3. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

Nothing for it then but to connect zones 1 & 2 in the controller. Do you think this will cause any damage to the controller or a solenoid?

4. Wet_Boots

What requires you to run two zones simultaneously? You designed a system in zones, to run one zone at a time.

5. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

I designed it to run two 3-rotor zones independently, but I can run them together at around 15 gpm, which takes 30 mins off my run time in a day. If the water pressure drops in the future due to expansion or whatever, I can go back to separate zones.

6. Wet_Boots

Consider using larger nozzles in the sprinkler heads, and leave it running one zone at a time.

7. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

I was hoping to reduce total running time so I could water it twice, trying for that deep-root ideal. As it is, it goes for 2 hours now, I dunno if that is normal, low, or high for a residence.

On a good note, I put out some cans tonight, and got .32 average in 30 minutes.

8. Wet_Boots

Larger nozzles will also reduce running time. 2 hours is fine. Beats the heck out of 18.

9. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Even out here on the windy plain, I have very few customers getting it done in 2 hours or less. Medium to large yards often see 4-6 hours total run time. And some large accounts have up to 20 or more zones that need that 18 wetboots mentioned. In those cases, I split the run in two days. (or even 3) If you want to only run 1 hour of a morning, once the yard is back after the install, run 1/2 the system one morning and 1/2 the next. Your controller can handle that w/ ease. Use the interval option and put 1/2 your yard on "A" and the other hald on "B". Make sure the days remaining are different from "A" to "B" and your good to go.

10. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

On the Prog A & B option... doesn't the switch have to be in that position to run that program? For example, can I recall & run Program B if the switch is set to A? I am not sure I fully understand the A, B, C thing yet, I am only using A.

Thanks for the reply!