RB or Hunter nozzles?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by F6Hawk, Sep 4, 2005.

1. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

I am using I-20 rotors, and have heard mixed reviews about Hunter's nozzles. Are RB's any better? If so, any particular one? I have some trees with #4-11 blue nozzles on them that I got for free that I can use, if they are the good ones. Are these the "rain surtain" nozzles?

Thanks for your opinion...

2. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

and you think these are going to be interchangeable

3. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

Of course, aren't they? (And that was spoda be "rain Curtain", not rain surtain in my first post above)

4. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

that would be ah NO

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I don't install rainbird heads, so I've never paid close attention to the nozzles.

I will however, take a look to see if they are interchangable.

6. Luke in Nebraska

Luke in Nebraska LawnSite Member

The rain curtain nozzles are used on the rainbird T-40 or R-50. What these nozzles do is seperate the water coming out of the nozzle for you so you don't have to mess with the adjusting screw. I myself don't like them because they only shoot out about 30'. They are also color coded. 1.5-black 2.0 brown 3.0 grey 4.0 yellow 6.0 green. The nozzles you have are for a different rainbird head.

7. Luke in Nebraska

Luke in Nebraska LawnSite Member

The rain curtain nozzles are used on the rainbird T-40 or R-50. What these nozzles do is separate the water coming out of the nozzle for you so you don't have to mess with the adjusting screw. I myself don't like them because they only shoot out about 30'. They are also color coded. 1.5-black 2.0 brown 3.0 grey 4.0 yellow 6.0 green. The nozzles you have are for a different rainbird head.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The same name is also applied to nozzles on the newer Rainbird gear-drive rotors, which are a sort of compromise between the maximum radius and maximum spread nozzles on the old R-50 head.

More to the point, why is this thread even in existence? Is there some specific problem with the existing system? Anything you may have read is irrelevant if your existing system is giving effective coverage.

9. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

Because I was wondering if the RB nozzles provide better coverage. THe Hunter ones seem to spray a stream up into the air, with a bit of spray falling in close, but if there is a wind, that gets blown away, and little in-close watering takes place.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You don't need much water close in, because the area nearest the head is so small, compared to further out. If you watered in a constant wind, you would have designed the system accordingly. Close in watering is a kind of illusion, because of the geometry of a sprinkler head's coverage. Since people are looking for some downward spray from a head, more companies are providing it, even when it not only is not needed, it is a detriment to newly seeded bare soil, because it will wash the seed away. Since you haven't said that parts of your lawn are dying, I will assume that is not the case, and you can leave the heads alone.