RB Rain sensor

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by F6Hawk, Jul 26, 2005.

1. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

What is a normal range for these to work? Mine is about 20' away from the controller, with one brick wall between, and I get a "No signal" light every day. If I press the top a few times, it resets, but comes back the next day.

I figured it has at least the normal Wi-Fi range of 300', no obstacles, and should be ok at 20' thru the exterior wall. Any opinions?

Oh, and I replaced the batteries yesterday.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Brick walls do not compute. Wireless sensors and masonry do not mix.

3. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

Then why when I push the button does it work? The low power test runs, as well, if you hold the button for over 4 seconds.

And my laptop works wirelessly up to 80 feet outside, when the router is in the middle of the house...

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

When Hunter first introduced their remote control transmitter and receiver, I did some tests, and confirmed its 400+ foot line-of-sight range. Put a masonry wall in the way, and it won't work at 4 feet. Their wireless rain detector seems similar. It won't work through masonry. For a day or two, leave the sensor in the same room as the controller, and compare.

5. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

Will do, WB, thanks for the tip!

6. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

It didn't take a day or two, it took a few minutes, and the No Signal light went away. I have repositioned the sensor just outside the door, on the gutter. Here's hoping that with a mostly glass door there, it can xmit the signal into the garage. If not, I will be selling me a wireless hunk-o-junk!

7. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just one of those slow to change folks. I have heard of more problems with the wireless remotes than I have heard praise. Not to say that they won't work, but the potential for failure is greater than the old, tried and true - MiniClik, RainStat, RainChek, etc. The process for wiring in is simple especially on the newer controllers that all seem to have a sensor hook up on the terminal strip, and many are also incorporating a by-pass switch. The draw back would be having to locate it within 20-25 of the controller (length of supplied wire), and having to carry a ladder to mount it.

Hawk - Is it possible to mount the receiver outside the brick wall? Run the wires from the receiver through the conduit that you ran the zone wires in and then mount the receiver on an outside wall? There is nothing saying it has to be located next to the controller and indoors. In fact the Spec sheet says that the receiver is water resistant and can be mounted outdoors.

Jerry

8. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

That's a good idea, Jerry, if the current spot does not work... But I suspect it will, as the sender is almost line-of sight to the receiver now, thru a screen door most of the time, and a glass door in the winter months.